Balancing again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m getting a bit confused with all of the different information about
Radiator balancing. And yes I have read several FAQ’s on the subject.

Is this correct
Reduce the flow within a radiator to allow the water more time to dissipate
It’s heat into the rad, therefore creating a greater drop. Obviously if the flow is reduced too much the rad temp will drop considerably but the drop will be considerable. At what point do you stop or do you just try to achieve 12 Deg C
and that’s it.

Sponsored Links
I think that you are slightly confused, Ignore heat dissapating just think of even temperature distribition.

The idea of balancing is to ensure that you will have a restricted flow through the hottest radiator therefor allowing the c/h pump to be able to distribute the water to radiators that are not getting enough flow and therfore not getting hot enough.

So if the point is not to achieve heat dissipation in preference to even temperature distribution, how are you supposed to achieve a 20 Deg C boiler return temp. Shorely the only way to achieve that would be to get rid of the heat by allowing the flow rate through the rads to be minimal and thereby giving the water the maximum time to dissipate its heat.

Having an even distribution of heat is obviously desirable but surely the aim must be to also achieve lower return temps as well. I still don’t get it!

Baxi Duo-Tec
Aparently the pump must be set at setting 3 during the commissioning with no further info about reducing it at a later date.

With my set up so far, I have balanced the system to achieve 9 Deg C drop at the rads (best) but the flow would appear to be now causing shhh noises when the trv,s lower, I guess this is due to the high flow setting. How do you overcome this?

Sponsored Links
Anybody have a response to the Baxi pump issue or a better explanation of what you are trying to achieve when balancing?

Your answer will be in no 2 here

Don't worry abput the 9 deg drop etc. You just want to get them all heating evenly. :D

Anybody have a response to the Baxi pump issue or a better explanation of what you are trying to achieve when balancing?

Imagine that you have a garden hose about ten feet long layed out in a straight line with holes in it at about one foot intervals. When you turn on the tap, water will flow from the first hole, nearest the tap, creating a fountain say six feet high, the second hole will create a fountain not quite as high and so on until finally the last hole would only be say about six inches high.

The aim of balancing is to restrict these holes starting from the tap end, so that all the holes produce fountains of the same height.
If you now suppose that the pressure from the tap is the pressure from the pump and the holes are the inlets or outlets to the radiators are what you are restricting by adjusting the radiator valves.

Hope this helps to explain your query.

spraggo

You could have been a judge on the apprentice of the year, they were making fountains :D

spraggo

I fully understand that and thank you for the good analogy.
Why do you say not to worry about the temperature drop?
Surely if you don't concentrate on achieving the 12 Deg C at the rads
then the rads will not be very efficient but most importantly the return temp at
the boiler will not be very low. It is my understand that with condensing boilers the return
needs to be as low as possible.
A balanced system whereby the balance just concerns equal flow to all rads will not achieve
this. The temp of all rads may well be the same but return temps at the boiler will be compromised
unless consideration is also given to achieve an even drop at 12 Deg C.

This is my understanding, please comment if I am wrong.

It is my understand that with condensing boilers the return needs to be as low as possible

About 56 degrees roundabout for max condensing, but the advice your getting is for a diy fix not a indepth balancing procedure.

You are right tho. it has to have a difference of 12 degs. or so to acheive correct balance for a condenser temps.

You won't acheive that by hand tho. ;)

You won't acheive that by hand tho. ;)[/quote]

So the whole point is 2 fold then.

Achieve even flow (balanced) but also to restrict each rads flow to achieve the required drop of 12 deg C.

What do you mean by “by hand”. Does refer to the method of testing the temperature drop?

You sound as you know what you are talking about , cos you answer your own question as above.
Are you in the trade??

And yes, you need a thermometer to get correct diffs.

I’m not in the trade, just confused by the lack understanding on the internet.
None of the guides that I can find fully convey what you are trying to achieve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back