Balcony Possible Here ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, got a sash bay window out the back of my kitchen. Often wonder if its possible to replace the centre sash with French doors and put balconnette there. Thing is the roof is GRP/OSB laid over the top of previous plywood, it's a little soft due to the OSB. Think any weight would damage it. Also the side wall on the outside is the neighbours. Therefore any fixings of say wrought iron balustrade would have to come out the distance of the bay, about 50cm, then the doors to clear which would be 110cm min large torque on the wall. There is the angle section of the bay to bolt the thing on another plane but looks like it would weight too much and damage the GRP. Not sure of any other options.
French doors on their own (without balustrade balconnette) not sure if its worth it. Also due to the kitchen table on the inside, shifting it round every time etc...
Was thinking it might be better to put french windows maybe that came down to 2ft above the kitchen floor, stylish, and putting just small standing platform directly outside so can sing short opera in the morning holding the coffee, that platform with small low 2ft mini balustrade to hold in the feet sort of thing.
Also am 1 block from the sea so lots of wind to smash those windows about !!!
Any advice creative geniuses would be grateful !!!
( flatroof is L shape goes back round the outside of the ktichen, above the kitchen is tiled sloped roof ; planning said "something is possible" due to new blocks in the area with balconies.)

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'll let others comment on the technical feasibility, but you may need to consider planning permission, as I'm pretty sure balconies need it, and are not always the easiest things to get planning permission for

Sponsored Links
Anything is feasible it depends on how much you want to spend… it may be the case of checking depth of foundations, re enforcing roof to BR.

If it was me I’d get a structural engineer to design it as you may need to strength your joists , put a mid steel in etc… see how much you need to change then see

For a good few reasons, I dont think that its a good idea.

Just saying: You mention that the flat roof surface is a "little soft" - OSB only goes soft if its soggy. Its possible that the
OSB and ply are lying on insulation?
Anyway, it might be more important to investigate the flat roof for soundness rather than your other proposal.

Thanks. Well what I was thinking is simply bolting something to the wall, I have seen photos of balconnettes like that, I wouldn't be able to or interested in any changes to the roof basically, it's not mine.
The OSB is new but I can feel under my feet it isn't like the old ply.

It's not just the OSB or whatever the deck is, it's the size of the joists, if it doesn't meet the regs for a 'floor' (it won't) then the structure would need upgrading so ceiling down new joists, new deck probably etc. ££££s .....

It's not just the OSB or whatever the deck is, it's the size of the joists, if it doesn't meet the regs for a 'floor' (it won't) then the structure would need upgrading so ceiling down new joists, new deck probably etc. ££££s .....
Sure I was thinking if its poss just to bolt something to the wall that could be stood upon sort of italian style. And not touching the roof or maybe just resting, as the roof is the neighbours, so can't do any work on it.
Problem is though that the bay means that the fixings would have to travel back behind the bay to the mainwall and so be heavy and have a lot of turning moment, so doesn't seem possible.
Don't think would get PP for any seatable space, so as I said best option might be french doors / windows and a simple small light standing deck which is bolted on and just rests and has a small rail for feet, then you cold have the "feeling" of standing out for a moment. Doors on their own would be like doors to nowhere and be a bit weird.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back