Replacing a window for french doors/sliding doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current window is 1700mm wide and i want to replace it with some kind of door/window combination that allows me to go outside or let in fresh air through a window.

Problem is there seems to be limited choice of a french door + sash window combination and the ones ive found all require a 1800mm width, id prefer to keep the width the same.

Is there any other combinations or options i have? Id actually prefer the bottom of the doors to be opaque as i have a toddler who will put his hands everywhere too.

Sponsored Links
Actually would i be able to fit 1800mm wide sliding patio doors into the 1700mm wide gap?

My current window is 1700mm wide and i want to replace it with some kind of door/window combination that allows me to go outside or let in fresh air through a window.

Problem is there seems to be limited choice of a french door + sash window combination and the ones ive found all require a 1800mm width, id prefer to keep the width the same.

Is there any other combinations or options i have? Id actually prefer the bottom of the doors to be opaque as i have a toddler who will put his hands everywhere too.
What style of french doors are you looking at? Wood? UPVC? Off the shelf? Bespoke made to measure?

If you have them in UPVC or aluminium, you can have them made to measure - i.e. fit the 1.7m gap. You could also ask for the doors to be made with a transom, so that they glazing can be split. Your only other thoughts then should be the lower masonry and best to deal with that.

Sponsored Links
What style of french doors are you looking at? Wood? UPVC? Off the shelf? Bespoke made to measure?

If you have them in UPVC or aluminium, you can have them made to measure - i.e. fit the 1.7m gap. You could also ask for the doors to be made with a transom, so that they glazing can be split. Your only other thoughts then should be the lower masonry and best to deal with that.
Im thinking of sliding patio doors now, can they be made to measure usually or not? UPVC still.

Im thinking of sliding patio doors now, can they be made to measure usually or not? UPVC still.
Yes. Mostly UPVC these days. You can still get aluminium (I think) owing to the resurgence (bi-fold doors, lanterns etc).

Yes. Mostly UPVC these days. You can still get aluminium (I think) owing to the resurgence (bi-fold doors, lanterns etc).
Im not overly bothered about aliminium really as they cost like twice as much is there really much benefit? And you can definately get sliding doors to size?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back