Ball Park Cost of Hip and Ridge Tile Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has had a quote of £5700 to replace the hip and ridge tiles on her 1930s semi. No other work has been quoted for.

This seems rather high to me as I thought a re-roof would be in the region of this price.

It's within the M25 so understandably the cost may be slightly higher than elsewhere in the country but just wanted to get some opinions here.

I've told her to get more quotes but as of yet she hasn't done that and is very stressed about the whole situation.

TIA

Sponsored Links
No picture required as £5,700 for a semi is robbery no two ways about it. If your friend won't get other quotes then suggest to her you do it for her ( the quotes, not the ridge ! ) and at least then you can compare but unless the house is enormous with several hips you should not be paying that.

A friend has had a quote of £5700 to replace the hip and ridge tiles on her 1930s semi. No other work has been quoted for.

This seems rather high to me as I thought a re-roof would be in the region of this price.

It's within the M25 so understandably the cost may be slightly higher than elsewhere in the country but just wanted to get some opinions here.

I've told her to get more quotes but as of yet she hasn't done that and is very stressed about the whole situation.

TIA
That's stupid money, unless there's something you've not mentioned like complete lack of access

Sponsored Links
Nope, just a bog standard 1930s semi, on a very typical 1930s street. A driveway on which there’s room for a couple of vans and plenty of room on the street.

I guess around 20 linear metres of tiles.

I’ll see if I can get some more quotes and update in due course but thanks for confirming.

Last edited:
we are currently involved in a property in the new forest. Listed so not run of the mill , all the ridges are being replaced as existing are badly damaged.
We are having perfect replicas made . there are 55 ridge at a cost of £5200.00 just for the ridge, plus labour, scaffold is in place. And a lead time for fabrication just over a year.

hence i asked to see an image..

TIA
We once paid £27 per ridge about 10 years ago and we had to collect them direct from the manu's. I think I worked it out it cost about £1500 just to get the ridge on site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back