Balling cement in mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone advise me on why cement would ball up like this in a mixer and how to avoid it?

Thanks.

Attachments

• iOS Image - 2669039483.jpg
    iOS Image - 2669039483.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 457
Sponsored Links
I've had it a couple of weeks but its a fresh opened bag every few mixes.

Hmm, check the bag, should have a date on it, are you putting water in first?

Sponsored Links
I'll check the bag later. Its defo not old stuff. My usual method has been to add a small amount of water, half the sand, half the cement, bit of water, add the rest of the sand and then rest of cement and then water to dampen the mix.

Nothing to do with the cement and everything to do with the addition of materials into the drum.

Never add to a dry drum.

Always add water before drying it up again with the cement.

If the mix is too wet, just add more dust (cement) and sand.

What with your wobbly patio slabs I'm suspicious of your cement.

I'll try starting with more water today and see how I get on.

I'll try starting with more water today and see how I get on.
If you can gauge the total amount of water and put it in at the beginning then you will fare better. Otherwise just add water BEFORE adding more material into the drum. If you intend leaving the muck in the drum for a long period, then leave it wet. Add more gear prior to tipping it out if you need to.

I'm scooping it out as needed to make carrying it easier, so it is left in there, but not for more than 20mins say at the most.

What with your wobbly patio slabs I'm suspicious of your cement.

I've just been to check the cement bags for a date but can't see anything - what would you consider to be old?

I've just been to check the cement bags for a date but can't see anything - what would you consider to be old?

Depends on how it's stored of course recommended by Lafarge is 4-6 weeks, 2 months max

Oh ok, didn't think it was that short of a shelf life. It's just stacked in its plastic bags like it would be on a pallet.

It aint the cement bud. Concrete sand is notorious for allowing the balling up of the cement when mixed in the wrong sequence. Amateurs who have attempted floor screeding (dryish mix) are testament to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back