Ballpark figure for downlighter installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I am planning moving from the dark side and into the light by having led downlighters fitted throughout. Could someone please give me a ballpark figure for parts and labour please? 3 x bedrooms, upstairs ceiling and downstairs hall, maybe 25 in total.
Thanks in advance,
Helen

Sponsored Links
Do you mean "fitted" or are you "replacing" existing Halogen downlighters?

If you mean "newly fitted", I strongly suspect that there will soon be a response from one who will try to disabuse you of undertaking any such project - as well he should, for all the reasons which he has accumulated and is much better to impart to you than am I.

(For a start, downlights in bedrooms are quite unlikely to be pleasant company!)

25 lights for 3 bedrooms. upstairs ceiling (?), and downstairs hall. ?!?!? (OMG)

However, one or two downlights in a hallway might be justified, since you need only to see the floor in a few spots to find your way through.

Last edited:
FrodoOne,
Thankyou for your wisdom and your thoughts on my post. Enlightenment is key, especially in a dark building and as a student of diy forums.
Thankyou again

Didn't have them, but an electrician told me they are about £25 each, so that's about £625, but I guess he cost of labour in running the cables and making good (lifting carpets, floorboards, etc,.) will mean it will be several days work at least. Maybe closer to £1500 +vat (total guess really based on what my electrician charged me recently).

My electrician was very happy when he saw that I was not having downlighters in the kitchen. I decided that normal lamps are cheaper, more versatile, easier to install, easier to replace. I have 2 fittings in the kitchen, each with 4 directional bulbs. That covers all worktop areas and table very well.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jonbey, won’t mention the kitchen....that’s next!!
Always good to hear others stories, thanks again, will have a good think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back