Bamboo worktop: how to seal appropriately, which oil is best to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TLDR: Bamboo worktop, which oil is the most indicated? I hear Danish Oil is good enough, is Osmo Top Oil a level head? We are looking to achieve a well sealed, truly impenetrable worktop.

After having some make-shift OSB worktops for more than a year, we finally decided on some bamboo worktops, which we bought from what I would believe it is a reputable worktop seller.
My expectations on bamboo were quite high, as we have had bamboo chopping board for years and water (or other liquids and foods) left on the board for some time would be easily wipeable and leave no trace.
Of course that level of seal depends mostly on the final sealant use to seal the wood, and here is the problem we are facing with our worktops.

We asked for the worktops to come pre-oiled and after installing them, we soon realised that water marks were appearing, even if wiping straight after a water droplet was laid on the worktops.

As you can see from the picture, the damage looks like a white blemish / discolouration.

Since then, we learnt that actually having the worktops pre-oiled doesn't mean much, as in fact we need to oil them daily for the first week, then weekly for 6 weeks, monthly for six months and then every six months for the rest of our beautiful lives - who would have thought that when buying a wooden worktop I had signed up for a job as a part-time wood oiler! :D:D

Jokes aside, I have done a test on a worktop offcut with 3 to 6 coats of Danish oil applied wet on wet (i.e. apply oil, leave it to rest 20 minutes, then second coat, then 20 minutes wait etc.; then wipe down multiple times at intervals.)
Vey happy with the finish, HOWEVER the discolouration / white blemish still appears, even though less noticeable.

Here is then my DOUBT and QUESTION:
is my test pointless as I am trying to artificially accelerate time, and actually if I were to follow the standard process of oiling the worktop every day for a week etcetc., in the end if would be water impenetrable?
Or am I using the wrong (or not the most apt) oil, and should I rather use Osmo Top Oil instead of Danish oil?
Will I achieve with Osmo a truly impenetrable barrier?

Sponsored Links
Sorry!! Forgot to attach pictures

Spots by the cooker, caused by a pot of boiling water when we lifted the lid off of it. These were wiped straight away.

A blemish which we aren't sure of the origin

Those two drops are water that was wiped with a cloth within the space of 30 seconds.

Osmo top oil , you can get 5-6 coats on quickly as it dries very rapidly.Long lasting but with any timber worktop requires occasional maintenance.

Sponsored Links
Osmo top oil , you can get 5-6 coats on quickly as it dries very rapidly.Long lasting but with any timber worktop requires occasional maintenance.
Awesome, thanks! Do you reckon Osmo Top Oil (of which rI ordered some samples already) will enable us to leave water standing for some minutes and not mark the top?
Of course we aim to wipe dry asap, but I am sure accidents will happen.

Separately, for where the worktop has had these blemishes, do you reckon those 5 or 6 coats of Top Oil will take care of those blemishes or do we need to sand it and start again? If so, hopefully w can just send the area around the blemish and not the whole worktop?

Thanks!

I use Diamond Satin Varnish on my bathroom floor (treated before fixing so all edges, cuts and surfaces sealed) and it is unaffected by drips, splashes and even overflows.

They are usually mopped up, but may lie unnoticed for a while.

Oil is not as waterproof.

Thanks for the inputs.
We tried a sample of the Osmo Top Oil (two coats as instructed), which seems to be a bit more sealing than Danish Oil, however if the water/wine is left for some minutes, it still seems to leave a mark.
In the instructions it says that with the Osmo the worktop will be fully cure in 2 to 3 weeks, so once fully cured perhaps it will have a good seal?

Unsure what we are going to do in the meantime cooking/washing-wise, it is currently a nightmare...

regarding the existing blemishes caused by water, any suggestion on how to tackle them?
Where I sample-tried the Osmo Top Oil, I rubbed some more on some sample blemishes I created, but they are still there.

Do we need another approach? Sanding? Hopefully just around the area and not the whole worktop?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back