Ban on mobile phones in the classroom being considered……

"The education secretary, Gavin Williamson, said he wants a ban on mobile phones as he launched a consultation on pupil behaviour and discipline in schools. He said he wanted to make the school day “mobile-free”
That’s the problem - consultation! My attitude is that I’m the adult, they are the child, I know what’s best for them so they do as I tell them or they can just leave - I will not consult with or be dictated to by children. Schools can’t do that. You may mock but the draconian rules in my place are well received by the organisations that send students to me. It’s a mechanics class, not flower arranging!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
"The education secretary, Gavin Williamson, said he wants a ban on mobile phones as he launched a consultation on pupil behaviour and discipline in schools. He said he wanted to make the school day “mobile-free”

Take from that what you will...
I take from that a ban on use in classrooms of course...

For some reason you take it as a ban on possession.

But then of course you are prone to paranoia, suspicion, and fear.

Both my kids schools (primary and secondary) make it clear that mobile phones are allowed, but should be kept in bags in classrooms and corridors - used at breaktimes only.
I'd be surprised if that was not a standard rule set by head teachers everywhere.

Both my kids schools (primary and secondary) make it clear that mobile phones are allowed, but should be kept in bags in classrooms and corridors - used at breaktimes only.
I'd be surprised if that was not a standard rule set by head teachers everywhere.

It is, but discipline in secondary schools means that many children openly challenge the rules. AND, some teachers encourage using personal devices for work.

Sponsored Links
Makes sense. But a government ban won't stop it then, kids will still take them in!

Some work organisations encourage using personal devices for work.

The last co I worked for didnt provide phones - they provided a contribution towards buying one, and they provided the SIM.

There was talk of them going the same "contribution towards" route for laptops.

I take from that a ban on use in classrooms of course...

For some reason you take it as a ban on possession.

But then of course you are prone to paranoia, suspicion, and fear.
No I'm saying it's not clear :rolleyes:

The problem with the UK is that it's always 'regulate, regulate, regulate...'

Thus the law/rules become an ass which most just ignore!

Many countries seem to be able to cope better, but then they tend to be the ones that have better educated parents passing on common sense...

Whereas of course in the UK there have been several generations of those deprived of a decent education, so what do you expect!

No I'm saying it's not clear :rolleyes:

The problem with the UK is that it's always 'regulate, regulate, regulate...'

Thus the law/rules become an ass which most just ignore!

Many countries seem to be able to cope better, but then they tend to be the ones that have better educated parents passing on common sense...

Whereas of course in the UK there have been several generations of those deprived of a decent education, so what do you expect!

than there is the Isle of whight

;)

Since when has education had anything to do with common sense? I know some highly educated people without an ounce of common sense of their own, let alone any spare to 'pass on' to their children!

An old example of brains without sense:

A88696FE-C2CD-4B14-A8CC-107864D65B70.png

Last edited:
Since when has education had anything to do with common sense? I know some highly educated people without an ounce of common sense of their own, let alone any spare to 'pass on' to their children!
Which bit of 'tend to be' didn't you understand?

But then you have a dictatorial approach!

Had a Latin teacher who used to enjoy strutting his stuff and using a ruler on the hand if you didn't conjugate fast enough...
(did you know that corporal punishment was only banned in 1998 in England?)

Anyway when I came to a certain age I told him if he did it again to anyone in the class I'd shove it up his f*cking arse...

Didn't go down too well with the headmaster either, but at least I learnt to question 'authority' relatively early on because no one was hit for the rest of our year!

Anyway when I came to a certain age I told him if he did it again to anyone in the class I'd shove it up his f*cking arse...

Didn't go down too well with the headmaster either, but at least I learnt to question 'authority' relatively early on because no one was hit for the rest of our year!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

5E24E077-5B1A-4701-826B-97B3A8775C19.gif

:rolleyes:

Which bit of 'tend to be' didn't you understand?

But then you have a dictatorial approach!

Had a Latin teacher who used to enjoy strutting his stuff and using a ruler on the hand if you didn't conjugate fast enough...
(did you know that corporal punishment was only banned in 1998 in England?)

Kids need discipline, and telling them no doesn't harm them.

If you behaved you wouldn't get slapped with the ruler, it's common sense....

There is no need to question authority, that when we become lawless and end up in the diabolical state we are now.

I don't agree with smacking or the cane, but that's how it was back then, and tbh it's not like the world was a terrible place then, people used to be able to leave there back doors open without the fear of being robbed, or girls could walk 3 mile to school without being raped and abducted, it was a very rare occurrence in the past, now it's almost part of every day life.

And the reason for that is lack of discipline and respect.

If my parents ever found out that I had been caned in school, I’d get some kind of extra punishment from them too. Nowdays, most parents would want to put a complaint in and seek some kind of compo and/or punishment for the teacher.

If my parents ever found out that I had been caned in school, I’d get some kind of extra punishment from them too. Nowdays, most parents would want to put a complaint in and seek some kind of compo and/or punishment for the teacher.
Which bit of "corporal punishment was only banned in 1998 in England" don't you get?

It's now against the law, so why shouldn't a parent complain?

Sponsored Links
Back