Ban or Breezer You thoughts please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been called to wire up a new boiler for a client and just wanted your opinions on the following: the new boiler has a pump over run on it therefore i need to run a new cable for this, no problem with that, where it gets cloudy is the cable selection because the new boiler an valliant eco max has a wiring terminal box located at its base , and the wiring control centre for the heating system is located the other side of the house (was installed by BG, wires sat burning against ch pipes etc you know what i mean :confused: This is where the regs confuse me a bit, would you bring the solid core into the boiler or would you use heat resisting flex from the boiler then terminate into a jb near the boiler then continue across the house in solid core? the boiler has glands for flex within it and the wiring centre also has flex glands (or puney flat cable glands) which then makes me think about running all in flex (But then we are into fixed wiring etc )
The cable will be run in trunking across the house your comments would really be apprecaited on this one thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably T&E from the central heating centrol thingy to a box with a flex outlet plate on it near the boiler, and the final connection to the boiler in heat resistant flex

Yo - flex outlet plate is the way to go

K1090WHI.JPG

PartPapproved said:
The cable will be run in trunking across the house your comments would really be apprecaited on this one thanks
Ugh.

Yes I know BAN I hate trunking too!! but client wants cheapest option !!!!
Know what I mean :LOL: personally I hate the stuff!!

Sponsored Links
Is there no longer a requirement to provide local isolation next to a Boiler?

PPR..can I ask what scheme your registered under and in what context...

What is the length of the run? - I'd use HR flex insde the trunking. No reg against using flex as fixed-wiring.

I'd also use a means of local isolation via an FCU rather than an unswitched flex outlet.

TT

NO ! i was using the forum as a sounding board ! of course you need local isolation , big spark NICEIC quals 2381 2391 + Part p or u saying that c&g are dumbing down now!! watch out you dont sound like the older generation, the exams arnt what they used to be ,,,, and in the old days they made them out metal !! and before the war.........

well there ya go, NICEIC,should have known, and part p, what you have is testing and regulations, this does not make you qualified in anyone but the NIC and other scams eyes, if you served an apprentership and had your base qualifications then you would know the answer.

also, i think breezer and ban would agree, they arnt the only people on the forum!

ss

SS thats quite interesting , Because whilst i was training , I met many other experienced appenticeship based sparks (good guys) however when asked about their inspection and testing many of them admitted that the only testing they had done was to switch the circuit/appliance on , also it was very interesting watching them struggle with BS7671, the calculations
I understand your point though but for some of us the apprenticeship route wasn't an option at the time!!

Most of the sparks I know who diss the part p scheme are the ones with no test equipment or outdated equipment and dont want to invest in new equipment or pay to join a scheme

PartPapproved said:
big spark NICEIC quals 2381 2391 + Part p
Part P is not a qualification.

supersparky said:
also, i think breezer and ban would agree, they arnt the only people on the forum!
Indeed not, but there's no reason for anyone who wants to answer to take any notice of the topic title...

No sorry your right BAN, its a set of regs what I ment is that i have completed a Part P Course to ensure that my work complies witth these regulations

Opps and the reason i addressed it that way is because having looked at the plumbing and heating forum , I could see that they are experienced in heating installations, again which is not every sparks cup of tea and I wasn't trying to belittle any other forum user nor place them on a pedestal

And then people wonder why I hate Part P scams...

No disrespect PPR..but your not an Electrician...your simply someone who has completed a handful of courses, largely irrelevent without further education, and the Numpty Inspectors Club seem to think your competent to do the Job..

I do wonder what you would do if you came across a house, such as a Farm that has a 600A 3 Phase supply feeding a 48 Way MCCB Panel Board which then fed, via submains, a series of smaller 3 Phase panels and single phase panels in various buiildings..

Now as this is domestic, it is covered by Part P....But would you have a clue about this?

Would you even know where to start...apart from phoning a Properly Qualified Electrician that is?

Now I don't blame you, you have simply attempted to better yourself, and I respect that and give you credit for it...however, regardless of the NICEIC, your not qualified to be doing this job and charging hardwaorking people for a service you obviously do not know how to do..

I accept that many sparks may be flustered by some central heating control systems when they first encounter them, especially if they have not done any for a while, but you asked what cable to feed it in...come on..a first year apprentice could answer that one...Do you see my point..

I'll lay odds your Part P Registration is limited to Testing and Inspecting, and if that is the case then you should NOT being doing any of the work...Your registration and thus insurance will not cover it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back