Band I and Band II cables

The earth riveted on seems a good idea though, so when you drill through the capping as if it wasn't there, even if you happen to be using a recharageable drill, it'll short to earth and take the breaker/fuse out, without you might not short anything, and possibly end up with a undetected broken ring, or you fit a rawlplug in and screw a screw in while holding the metal shaft of the screwdriver... (ok then, a small slither of the damaged cable pokes through one of the gaps in the rawlplug)

Sponsored Links
No - what's a good idea is to follow the regs on concealed cables. That way if they aren't somewhere where they should be expected, they will either be deeply buried or will have mechanical protection. Capping, earthed or not, does not provide mechanical protection.

Glad you said that again, Ban...he obviously wasn't listening when I posted this...

securespark said:
I was taught that the sole purpose in life for capping is to protect the cable from damage from the plasterer's trowel, nothing more.

If you want proper protection, sink to 50mm and/or place in steel conduit.

Sponsored Links
Indeed ban, but I dare say many people wouldn't think twice about fitting a shelf without giveing a thought the the socket below

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back