BANG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had our third light bulb explode in about a month. Like really explode with a big bang. This time, it punctured a hole in the screw at the bottom. Last time it showered my wife with glass. So it's all pretty exciting. Different bulb, different light, different circuit each time.

The house has had a PIR (nothing too remarkable) and a new modern 17th CU fitted which behaves as it should by tripping MCB's and sometimes the RCD.

I've never been in a house that generates such remarkable bulb failures before. But it's getting to the point where my little boy prefers to waddle around in the dark in case 'the lights go bang again daddy'.

Is this normal? Is there something that causes spectacular failures over the normal gentle 'ping' I've grown up with, and is there anything I can do about it?

Sponsored Links
It could be caused by over voltage, contact your local dno, they can be found on the national grid website.

Sponsored Links
Apart from saving energy and lasting a long time, CFLs are very tolerant of voltage changes, so you will probably fix it. Buy a few to make sure you are happy with the shade of "warm white" and the start-up time, before you re-equip the whole house. I prefer the ones with an opal globe or "bulb" shaped envelope over the element, when it is exposed to view.

To replace a 100W filament bulb you need a 22W CFL. Sometimes the ads mislead you into thinking 15W is near enough. It isn't.

Osram scored well in the "Which" tests. For lamps on stairs and hallways, that will be on a long time, I use the cheaper own-brands as start up time is not important. If you have youngsters (or oldies) in the house I am very much in favour of keeping the stairs, and the passage to the bathroom, illuminated all night. The cost is trivial.

Where are you buying your lightbulbs?

Good point. We're new in the house, so they were put in by the previous owners. I think I'll replace them with energy saving bulbs and see if that makes a difference.
Don't buy the cheapo's, (10 for £5 etc) Make sure they are a well known brand name like Phillips/Osram etc.
If they still keep 'banging' or even popping then I would suggest calling a different spark in to see if he can 'enlighten' you. (Pun intended!)

Bulbs should have internal fuses but I have found many cheap imports don't. Ikea CFU I know lack the fuses bitter experience where as it failed it welded itself to the holder.

However I was not blameless as I had the lamp protected by a 16A MCB not a 6A MCB. Had I used a 6A MCB then likely it would not have welded itself into the holder.

There are three figures for MCB size. BS7671:2008 says less than 16A but also has to comply with manufacturers recommendations and most ceiling roses are rated at 5A. However the BA22d holder is rated at 2A. Because there should be a fuse in the bulb the 2A at the holder is OK. However where the fuse is missing maybe we should use a lower protective device on the supply!

However 5/6A is considered OK for lighting supplies but where people have added spot lights and the like it has been know for larger MCB's to be fitted up to the 16A max.

So what size MCB/Fuse is fitted in your case. I have used lamps coated in a plastic film to retain any glass should they break. Many CFU do have a plastic outer to make them look nice.

Osram scored well in the "Which" tests. For lamps on stairs and hallways, that will be on a long time, I use the cheaper own-brands as start up time is not important. If you have youngsters (or oldies) in the house I am very much in favour of keeping the stairs, and the passage to the bathroom, illuminated all night. The cost is trivial.

I will whole-heartedly second that. I hold Osram in high regard and always have done. I used them exclusively when I was self-employed and they were excellent.

I too have lights that are on all night, the bathroom for one. The hall light is on 24/7*, a 21W Osram that has been in service over 5 years so far!

*It's a security thing.

A top copper told me a long time ago that if you leave a light on permanently, then whatever time of day or night intruders visit they may see the light illuminated. Thus, it is more difficult for them to work out whether the house is occupied or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back