Banging from CH pipes and hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you can help a complete novice here.

Though the system was fine when first installed by a professional, lately I have been getting very loud noises when my system is switched on.

Firstly, if hot water is turned on you can hear a fizzing noise coming from inside the hot water cylinder. This can sometimes be loud enough to wake me up in the morning and lasts as long as the water is being heated up - if I turn the thermostat on the cylinder down, then the sound goes away.

Secondly, and of greater concern, is that when the central heating comes on via the timer, in the first minute or so there is a deafening bang (only one or two bangs at most) - loud enough to be heard in any part of the house, come from somewhere within the central heating system. I have tried in vain to pinpoint exactly the source of the bang however the noise does not appear to come from the boiler.

I am slightly clueless as to how my system works but can tell you I have a MAXI boiler, that has a vent going straight out of an outside wall which sounds like it vents steam and that the only thing in my loft is a cold water tank. I asked a seemingly clueless plumber what the cause of the big bang was and he suggested it may have been caused by a rubber ball in a small metal box next to my hot water cylinder that controlled water flow (see told you I was clueless). Would this be right?

Can anyone suggest what my problems are, and how they are best dealt with. Am happy to have a go at stuff myself, with guidance, and answer any follow up questions that may be needed.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
witht he cylinder do you have the immersion on? as these normally make the hissing noise you describe and I have never come across this when the boiler is providing the heat

As to the boiler its sounds like explosive ignition to me, this can happen on direct ignition boilers as there can be a build up of gas in combustion chamber before sparks ignite it, can also be caused on and Ideal Response by inadequately sized gas pipes but thats a whole can of worms

My tuppence worth is get someone in to have a look, especially for the banging noise

Thanks for the quick response.

Have actually checked the brand of boiler and it is an Ideal classic LXFF /FF fanned flue boiler. Regarding piping, if this helps at all its a 15mm gas pipe going into the boiler from the gas supply.

As for the cylinder problem - I am not getting the noise from immersion, this is purely from boiler fed.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I think it would be wise to get some one in soon as thats about as far as you can go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back