banging pipes / thermostatic valve problem

Sponsored Links
he guys i tested them and your were bang on... ALL the rads up stairs are incorrectly set - when they heat up the hot water comes in at opposite valve to the TRV - its 3am and its just started in the bathroom TWICE when it was on 5 full - - how do i remove these tops?

will this be *****ing our boiler (which is an ideal isar HE30 ...no laughing please)

another problem is 1 radiator downstairs going cold after 45-60mins of being hot - i thought it would be crap in the rad cos it was cooler on bottom than top so i took it off and flush it out and put back on...its much better but still cools down?? frkin sick of this CH - 5 problems now with it all related to pipework

thanks

Sponsored Links
Could be a nut you unscrew.

Could be an allen key or slot head grub screw.

Could be clip on whereas you turn a ring and lift the head off.

When it goes cool after an hr have you tried turn it up to a higher setting. :rolleyes:

he guys i tested them and your were bang on... ALL the rads up stairs are incorrectly set - when they heat up the hot water comes in at opposite valve to the TRV
That may not be disastrous as most modern TRVs are designed to go on either end. Have a look on the metal body of the valve and you should see one or two arrows. If only one arrow, this must point in the direction of flow: into the rad on the flow (hotter) side; away from the rad on the return (cooler) side. If there are two arrows at 90°, then the TRV can go on either end.

Provided your TRV is not a single arrow type fixed to the wrong end, you can resolve the problem by balancing the system. See How to balance a CH system.

When it goes cool after an hr have you tried turn it up to a higher setting. :rolleyes:
#

yes :rolleyes:

its not the temp being met at the wireless thermostat - its gets cold when the CH is belting away after being hot for about 45 minutes, it seems to go cold in middle/bottom first (if thats any help)

ive checked the TRV's and they have ONE arrow pointing into the valve so they have to be on the feed

It must be something to do with the TRV I think. Next time it does it take the head off and see what happens.

If all the upstairs rads are wrong, is the pipework accessible because it may be easier just the swap the two pipes over at the start of the circuit, but it could then mess up the others on the circuit.

It needs careful looking at.

I've checked the TRV's and they have ONE arrow pointing into the valve so they have to be on the feed
You may be able to turn them through 90° so the arrow is pointing away from the rad. It does mean that the controller will be horizontal; but that does not matter as it supposed to be better!

You will have to drain down or prevent the water escaping while you swap the valve round; how depends on what type of system you have - sealed or open vent.

he guys i tested them and your were bang on... ALL the rads up stairs are incorrectly set - when they heat up the hot water comes in at opposite valve to the TRV
That may not be disastrous as most modern TRVs are designed to go on either end. Have a look on the metal body of the valve and you should see one or two arrows. If only one arrow, this must point in the direction of flow: into the rad on the flow (hotter) side; away from the rad on the return (cooler) side. If there are two arrows at 90°, then the TRV can go on either end.

Provided your TRV is not a single arrow type fixed to the wrong end, you can resolve the problem by balancing the system. See How to balance a CH system.

they are single direction and on wrong ends - i wouldnt be able follow that guide as I dont have an inrared thermo, access to pump or boiler instructions... turning out to be MASSIVE implications with the CH system in this house - weve been in it 6 months and problem after problem with it

1. leak on outlet on boiler
2. leak at rad in living room
3. TRV's on wrong ends
4. rad going cold after use
5. creaking tapping pipes due to heat expansion

sick of my life... got no money to fix it and she wants the kitchen finished ignoring the boiler for next 2 months :(

Would like to see a pic of one of the valve before you do anything.

I've checked the TRV's and they have ONE arrow pointing into the valve so they have to be on the feed
You may be able to turn them through 90° so the arrow is pointing away from the rad. It does mean that the controller will be horizontal; but that does not matter as it supposed to be better!

You will have to drain down or prevent the water escaping while you swap the valve round; how depends on what type of system you have - sealed or open vent.

sounds like a god idea - but, wont that just mean they control the flow of water BEYOND the rad? - i dunno how these things are supposed to work and learning about this 'balancing' issue has really kicked me the in b*ll*cks - im in middle of fitting the kitchen and ive got to try and fix this now, with no money... and she chewing my head off :mad:

this is one next to me in dining room on the rad that goes cold after a while - the TRV is on right way on this one - (its upstairs on wrong way) - one thing ive noticed is ive had heating on for 2 hours now and the rad hasnt gone cold yet - the difference is ive turned the bathroom rad completely off at both valves (well TRV to frost lowest setting and LS to off) cos it was banging at 4am when heating was on

this is what they all look like, how do i remove the top to disable the thermostat?

thanks

2yl8d2g.jpg

You undo the chrome ring, if you press down on the head they may be finger tight otherwise a pair of grips.

If they're all the same then you can drain down and turn the valve over.

Wont make any difference to how they work, just no banging.

A simple Sunday morning job for you. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back