banging pipes / thermostatic valve problem

sounds like a god idea - but, wont that just mean they control the flow of water BEYOND the rad?
No! A TRV just controls the flow of water through the radiator, so it does not matter which end it goes - it's the same water coming out as goes in.

I dunno how these things are supposed to work
See How the TRV works (Courtesy of Danfoss)

The animation is not strictly correct as it shows the TRV acting like a switch - open or closed. It the system is correctly set up it will act more like the accelerator on a car, keeping the valve open just enough to maintain the correct flow and modulating slightly either side of that position as required. If the rad temperature is fluctuating between hot and cold, it's a sign that the system is not correctly balanced.

Sponsored Links
You undo the chrome ring, if you press down on the head they may be finger tight otherwise a pair of grips.

If they're all the same then you can drain down and turn the valve over.

Wont make any difference to how they work, just no banging.

A simple Sunday morning job for you. ;)

thanks doitall - i will do just that - i take it both ends are 15mm compression compatible - meanwhile i have to brave this sink tap hole cutting with my IKEA sheer punch :eek:

thanks again

You undo the chrome ring, if you press down on the head they may be finger tight otherwise a pair of grips.

If they're all the same then you can drain down and turn the valve over.

Wont make any difference to how they work, just no banging.

A simple Sunday morning job for you. ;)

thanks doitall - i will do just that - i take it both ends are 15mm compression compatible - meanwhile i have to brave this sink tap hole cutting with my IKEA sheer punch :eek:

thanks again

Yes, provided they are the same as the one in the pic, both end are the same.

thanks again..

one last question... the TRV's settinsg - if on 5 (full) does this keep it open constantly OR is it a set temprature still that closes valve once met>? - ive read somewhere its 24'c ...so on 5 if it reaches 24'c it closes the valve... is this correct?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Each number is 5degs, there is no full on, other than taking the head off.

so iam right? - cos my dads convinced its not - he says if he keeps his heating on full belt the valves never close

so iam right? - cos my dads convinced its not - he says if he keeps his heating on full belt the valves never close

That may be because the room never gets hot enough to close them.

On some valves you can adjust the start temperature, so 4 could be 20c or 30c if you get the drift.

ok thanks.... i will let you know how i get on, thing is ive got to finish kitchen first so may be a while yet

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back