Barbecue - charcoal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've brought several Argos barbecues over the years, only to replace them within 18 months. I want to buy something more robust this time. I've set myself a budget of £200. Is this realistic and what do you recommend?

Sponsored Links
I've sometimes considered a brick-built one, or an iron tray against a wall, with a stainless canopy and a bit of a chimney (as often used on cooker hoods) to draw the hot fumes away, maybe a storage space underneath for charcoal bags or tools..

I knew someone who put one against their house wall, I was surprised it didn't leave a smoky mark.

If you've the room, I agree, build yourself a brick BBQ. Should come under budget and you'll not need to make another for a long long time :)
One tip though, if you do make your own, when buying the grill, such as this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landmann...Chrome-Cooking-Grill-Heavy-Duty-/222902862548
Buy a couple so have a spare one. They tend to give up the ghost after about 7-8 years or so I find and it's always a bit of a ballache to get another exact same size to fit your brick BBQ.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Guys, my problem with a built in bbq is that it would need to be against either of my wooden fences and hence a fire hazard when the coal is flaming away

Sponsored Links
The problem with almost all but the most expensive barbecues are, no matter how much you cover them up, if they’re left outside, water gets in and they rust, and need replacing after a couple of years.

After getting fed up of this after about 4 barbecues in 8-9 years, we bought a decent £120ish one, and we put it in the garage after every use and store it over winter there. It’s still as good as new three years on.

If you want it to last, don’t leave it outside. £200 won’t prevent you from replacing in 2 years, believe me.

Been in the same situation myself after countless steel bbq's.

Contemplated a brick built job but we move ours about depending on just tea or full on party.

Ended up buying a fully stainless one from Germany (from ebay) and a cover as belt and braces. It's done a winter outside and still good as new!.

20170827_180912.jpg

Bought a gas bar b , never go back to messy charcoal.
It's not a barbecue though is it, gas is so boring. There's something about the whole charcoal shebang, the prep required for the coals, the smoke and smells, the taste often, the thought involved in cooking stuff, the glowing embers giving out heat for a couple of hours keeping you warm ......

Not a fan of gas either, lumpwood charcoal all the way for me!.

I've got a gas cooker in the house. What's the point in having another one in the garden?

what difference does it make? Food tastes no different whether BBQ'ed over gas or charcoal. TBF most BBQ'ed food is bloody awful anyway. First rule when invited to a BBQ is ensure you have eaten well beforehand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back