base for a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife as decided i would be better off if i took my radio shack come workshop in the shed :LOL:
so i have ordered a 12x10 shed which i intend to fit out as above.
my question is what would be the best base to put this shed onto?
it is going into a corner of the lawn and i was thinking of a concrete base but how should this be constructed and with what materials?
thanks in advance
steve

Sponsored Links
dcwuk said:
it is going into a corner of the lawn and i was thinking of a concrete base but how should this be constructed and with what materials?

Steve,

You're thinking of a concrete base and asking what materials to construct it with! Concrete would be a good start mate? :D

Seriously, is it a wooden shed or metal? If wooden then it'll have an integral base and by far the easiest and cheapest option is simply to use a few stury wooden battens at right angles to the floor joists.

If you really want a solid base then I'd use paving slabs laid on a bed of mortar. Measure the area out, scrape off top to make a basic level, mix mortar and lay slabs (on a bed of say 2" mortar), leveling each as you go. Allow to dry for seven days and then build shed.

Regards

Fred

Had 3 sheds altogether & I’ve used both concrete paving slabs (600 x 600) & 2m x 300 reinforced concrete, fence base boards; both were laid on a bed of sand. Last one was up 18 years & never settled an inch. Current one is 5m x 3m with a 3m undercover extension; I always buy an extra roll of roofing felt & cover the bottom panel before erecting, it stops the damp getting in & the base rotting out.

Sponsored Links
thanks fred and richard c
I was thinking of the mix fred :LOL:
paving slabs seems the way to go thanks again for your help guys :D
steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back