Base for garden shed on concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have recently purchased a 10' x 8' metal shed. I just need to find out if I need to make a base for the shed as my garden floor is already made of concrete blocks and is all levelled up. Pls help...
I thank you all in advance for your useful comments.

Sponsored Links
Hi Alex,
Your terminology confuses me .......concrete blocks (or paving slabs?)

What are you going to use the shed for?
i.e. simply storage of garden equipment/tools or a workshop/potting shed?

The above questions relate to the answers to be given, so look forward to your reply

Regards

jim

Hi Jim sorry for the confusion..I dont know much about these things..I was wrong to call them concrete blocks indeed they are Paving slobs..i am going to use the shed sloely as a mini home gym consisting of a smith machine, a small bench and weights..I look forward to your reply

Many thanks

Alex

Bit difficult to be certain since we don't know what, if any, sub-base lies beneath the slabs, the thickness of the slabs, nor indeed the weight of the metal shed.

If it were me, I think I'd gamble it and put the shed down.

Sponsored Links
Like dextrous, go for it. Going to be bl**dy cold on the feet in autumn/winter months!
Just make sure to secure the shed to the paving slabs to stop it moving in high wind. Personally, I would set some screwed rod in concrete and bolt the shed down. Do so outside the shed, it will be easier and not disturb your 'floor'. Remember, metal sheds mean condensation, so line it with a vapour barrier and insulate! after that, I would cover the paving slabs inside with about 2" expanded polystyrene and lay humidity grade (green) interlocking loft boards on the top.

Good Luck
Jim

Be pulling your hair out by the time you erected it, 2000 nuts bolts and screws + they rattle when its windy,treat your self too a wooden one bit more expensive but more sturdy,I sent the metal shed back when i looked at the plans to put it together :)

Personally I put a log cabin in the garden (4m by 4m for £2000). Am in it now, and it retains the occasional blast from a fan heater for a reasonable period. Plus, it smells nice!!!!!

Personally I put a log cabin in the garden (4m by 4m for £2000). Am in it now, and it retains the occasional blast from a fan heater for a reasonable period. Plus, it smells nice!!!!!
Nice one, alright for the rich lol

Be pulling your hair out by the time you erected it, 2000 nuts bolts and screws + they rattle when its windy,treat your self too a wooden one bit more expensive but more sturdy,I sent the metal shed back when i looked at the plans to put it together :)

wait till you try to put one together. done 3 for a local school. each took 2 of us 4 hours. then we had to do one again 3 months later when one got kicked to pieces by vandals. holes never line up, never enough fittins, and always as flimsey as anything. Best bit that makes me laugh is the guidance in the instructions that tells you to line it with cheap polystyrene tiles to stop the condensation. Now isnt that a bit of a give away about how bad they are.

go for a wooden one!

Thanks guys for all your useful comments..I have already ordered a metal shed and would be delivered next tuesday..one more question whats the best way of keeping it warm during winter?

Many thanks

Alex

Thanks guys for all your useful comments..I have already ordered a metal shed and would be delivered next tuesday..one more question whats the best way of keeping it warm during winter?

Many thanks

Alex

forget about keeping it warm unless you want to spend about 2 or 3 hundred pounds on kingspan insulation then you have a chance to overcoming the cold with a 3kw heater

You could always put some thick rubber 'horse stable' matting on the floor inside the shed. Its available on ebay.

It will be better to walk on and will be good for when you drop any weights in the gym.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back