Base for stud wall in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have skirted around this before, but was after some concise info on how to fashion a suitable base for a stud wall in my garage that will form a utility room. The extension has had proper foundations cast. That will be block walls. For the utility room which will occupy part of the garage, I was considering single skin blocking up approx 300mm so I could continue my concrete floor slab (100mm MOT, sand blinding, 100mm ins, 100mm concrete) from the kitchen extension, then build a stud wall off this.

My issue is as follows. The main extension is a double skinned block cavity wall - all standard. With space being at a premium in the garage, I was considering a plasterboard stud wall with a 100mm full filled cavity.

Would this meet regs?
How do I avoid the thermal gap between the bottom of the wall insulation and the floor insulation?
What foundations do I need for this? Thick lintel bedded on the concrete garage floor? Thin strip foundation? How deep?
140mm single skin block?

Thoughts welcome

Sponsored Links
You typically build a small masonry sleeper wall straight off the slab up to DPC. Lay polythene DPM into the floor trough and construct your floor as normal, i.e. insulation plus perimeter insulation then screed. You then lay a DPC on top of the bricks and then build your stud wall off this. You would need say 100mm Celotex between studs and then another 50mm across. I'd prefer the 50mm across the studs to be on the outside. Vapour barrier, plasterboard and skim.

Thanks - good info. That's a lot of insulation. Is it all needed for BC? I suppose in standard construction block and cavity walls the blocks offer some insulation. In this case it's just insulation and plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back