Base fos a garden shed/studio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to the group but can see that it has a very knowledgeable group of members.

I am planning to build a large wooden shed / studio in my garden. It will measure approx 20' x 14'. It will be used as a photography studio so will not be used for heavy machinery etc.

I was planning to lay a concrete base to site the building on, however I yesterday went to 2 local shed manufacturers (looking at their designs for ideas) and when I spoke to the staff there they advised me not to place it on a concrete slab as any rain water would sit around and blow against the wood, soak into the wood and in general not last as long. They advised laying the tanalised bearers over a DPC direct onto chippings. I asked about problems with the weight of the building but they said that it would be fine.

I always like to seek advice before I do any major project and thought that these 'experts' would agree with me that a concrete base would be best. I am now confused as I thing that the building would be too large to put onto chippings without future problems.

Can I ask what do people here think would be best.

Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
essentials for a shed to last must not be constantly wet
to acheive this you need to stand the wood off the concrete/ground

if you have a concrete base the sides off your shed must overlap by around 1"so the water runs down the side your concrete also needs to be around 2" above the surrounding ground height [4" would be great] to allow the water to drain away and keep the wood dry
you also need a bit off felt or dpm between the wood and the conctrete/earth/stone /brick to stop water transference

My 20' x 10' x 12' h shed is sitting on 18" x 9" blocks on soil (several rows) with dpc then scaffold plank bearers, then scaffold board floor screwed to the bearers. It's been up for 4 years and I can't see any degrading anywhere. Unless you have unstable ground, I wouldn't waste the money and effort putting down unnecessary concrete. It's overrated. It's only a shed, and the pressure of the shed on the soil is likely to be less than your foot. Just ensure water drains away from the site.

Wattle and daub buildings didn't have rot problems where mud was touching the main timbers. That's because it likes water more than the wood does. This means having soil under under your shed is likely to be better for it than sidding on concrete, which hates water, more than wood, so the wood gets it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back