Basement conversion and boxing out meters and boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there.

I have a lot of questions but will do one at a time, (more or less). I'm considering a diy basement conversation. My first query is about boxing out items attached to the walls. There is an electric meter. Gas meter, soon to be water meter, electrical consumer unit and the gas boiler.

How would these be dealt with when waterproofing and insulating the basement? Are they normally just boxed out with a door for access? Would that be enough to satisfy BC?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Meters or their boxing etc, don't come under building control's remit.

More pertinentl is how is the wall behind them going to be tanked?

Meters etc have nothing to do with B control as above reply.
Strictly speaking Part C (resistance to moisture) cannot be applied by B Control as no change of use has occurred, although its in your best interests to incorporate this.
Please note Part L (thermal insulation) will most likely apply as there will probably be a change of energy status, and there mau be some Part B (Fire) issues. Any other B Regs will be dependant on the extent of any additional work you carry out.

What I'm wondering is, do I have to tank behind them? Which would involve lifting them off the wall and reattaching. I thought boxing them out might be a way around having to do that. Because it seems dangerous (and potentially illegal) to do it myself.
Sliding a membrane behind might be reasonably easy but insulation, being quite thick would be far more awkward to do. Perhaps that's the only way though.

Sponsored Links
What I'm wondering is, do I have to tank behind them? Which would involve lifting them off the wall and reattaching. I thought boxing them out might be a way around having to do that. Because it seems dangerous (and potentially illegal) to do it myself.
Sliding a membrane behind might be reasonably easy but insulation, being quite thick would be far more awkward to do. Perhaps that's the only way though.
Consider that water will try and get through the wall, and does not care what's hanging on the inside.

The principles of basement waterproofing are that you stop water coming through (barrier), or deal with any that does (pump) - or both.

Hiding them away does not deal with the problem of waterproofing.

Insulation is not a big issue. You can insulate the boxing slightly, but a gas meter needs to be in a ventilated area, not sealed in.

It's being converted to a habitable room, like a garage conversion, like a loft conversion! Prevention of damp applies.
Care to show me in the statutory instrument precisely which category of change of use applies?

I can show you thousands of applications for building regulation approval for conversions.

Thanks Woody. I'm just starting to get my head around this and visualising how the tanking works. I was thinking of the tanking membrane that water can run behind. I actually have a manhole outside next to the cellar wall with a big drop about 8ft into a sewer (that can be climbed down). Was thinking of connecting into that, although if the sewer blocked it might 'back fire' so to speak.

I think my next step is to try and understand the tanking process, how to join it together, fit around pipes and mains cable etc, coming into the house, how its mounted on the wall and how the stud wall is then attached over it.

If I can understand the installation process I can work out how to fit it behind the meters. Not been able to find any decent instructables yet though. Can you point any out?
Many thanks.

There are many posts on here with pointers, I don't have anything specific.

Just familiarise yourself with the principles and different systems - coatings (Type A), drained cavities (Type C).

The most important thing is the detailing as just a small breach can mean big problems.

I'd forget the tapping into the manhole idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back