basement conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
just want to know if anyone has any idea (roughly) the cost of splitting one meter into two. no relocation. just putting an extra billed meter in. obviously by the elec board. all internal elecs will be done by me and mate
cheers guys appreciate any help

Sponsored Links
See your DNO's website. Search YEDL or CE electric (CE electric own YEDL, your DNO) on google.

Alternativey phone the people you buy your electric from. They might know, or they might point you towards YEDL.

iv tried yedl they are more interested in sending a surveyor round as they dont have a standard price they are responsible for it however my (about price) was basically is it gonna be 300 or 3000 if you get my drift thanks for your quick reply steve :cool:

They might have to send a surveyor to assess whether the existing service is fit for splitting (cable size etc), its not all held on file unfortunately. I dont know how they work, tbh.

I believe the preference for metering is to have all meters outside nowadays. So if you have internal meters they could say you need to have them both outside.

If its a simple case of splitting whats already there, look at the £300-500 mark (bear in mind, they work live), and have a consumer unit or isolater for them to connect to.

If they need to move things outside, or replace cables, this is where costs will mount. You would need to supply the meter cabinet and hole in the wall.

It may also be a different person that splits the second fuse, to the person that fits the second meter.

Sponsored Links
cheers pal i appreciate the approx cost everything will be done for them before or while they are here. no rush timescale wise, as long as they dont leave the upstairs disconnected. ive four sons who do not appreciate no ps3 s and computers tvs etc etc lol :D

Please elaborate on what you're aiming to achieve. Their may be suggestions that could be easier, and cheaper. Are you converting for rental/resale?

it will be for rental at first but i want to register it as two seperate dwellings so they could be sold seperately in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back