Basic Loft Conversion

Sponsored Links
There is always risk in whatever we do. Is the fire risk posed by relatively short term, intermittent use as great as the fire risk when used as a bedroom?
I suggest not.

The risk of being trapped up there or the risk of the electrics catching fire and bringing the ceiling down at night while everyone snoozes away?

It's a nonsense saying "Well I'm only up there for a few hours". It take less than 2 minutes for a fire to take hold and fill a property with thick smoke, and flash-over in 2 1/2 minutes in an average room

^woody^"Surveyor-in-Chief by appointment to the Royal Household; chief adviser to HM Government on surveying matters; inexhaustible mine of informationon all aspects of building construction said:
The risk of being trapped up there or the risk of the electrics catching fire and bringing the ceiling down at night while everyone snoozes away?

It's a nonsense saying "Well I'm only up there for a few hours". It take less than 2 minutes for a fire to take hold and fill a property with thick smoke, and flash-over in 2 1/2 minutes in an average room

perhaps loft ladders should be banned, then, if they lead people into dangerous habits.

Sponsored Links
Loft ladders are fine, bad advice should be banned

If the OP thinks that a loft conversion is a bit of laminate down on the joists, then I doubt he has even considered the fire safety implications.

I didn't assume that just putting down some flooring would mean that was Loft Conversion complete. I was merely asking for advice on how to proceed initially.

I am completely new to this so I am looking for advice step by step, as opposed to asking for a massively detailed full start to finish plan for the conversion....getting all the information in one massive message would be too much to take in, given the stage I am currently at.

Mike.

^woody^, you are being a bit of an old woman, I agree the OP should take some proper precautions and consider the risks in his escapades however there are thousands if not millions of people with hobby rooms etc and the like in their lofts, their ceilings have not collapsed and they have not burnt to death, when was the last time you heard of someone dying in a fire when they were in the loft playing Scalextric?

when was the last time you heard of someone dying in a fire when they were in the loft playing Scalextric?

I "heard of" 3 fires in the last 12 months that did not spread to the loft because of a protected staircase and closed doors, and floors did not come down because they were properly protected from heat

And one death in 2010 when a fire spread quickly from the ground floor, up the stairs and through half of the first floor

Every one I have spoken with who has had a house fire confirmed that they did not actually plan to have one

Let's be honest, we're all, every one of us, a bit naughty sometimes. Sometimes we all bend or break the rules, even you Woody.

I bet there isn't a single person here who doesn't occasionally break the speed limit in their car, and at that point it not just themselves they are putting at risk.

I lived in a timber back garden summer house for five months while renovating the house I now live in. I never died in a fire, but I guess some of you guys would have been on the phone to the council. Just for my own protection though!

But also, a couple of fires in the space of a year does not make the risk significant, not when you consider that there are what, 25 million houses in this country.

If the OP knows the rules (and now he does) then we've done our job. He's old enough to make his own decision as to whether he is going to go down the route of a fully building regs compatible conversion, or just stick down some flooring. If he's young and healthy enough and only uses the room during the day, the chances are that even in the unlikely event that a fire does break out, he will be perfectly capable of getting down the ladder before the house is engulfed.

Also, I don't think it's up to the OP to worry about what any potential future purchaser might use the room for. If a future purchaser thinks "Oh, that would make a great bedroom for my eight year old, he'll have no trouble going up and down a ladder every morning and night", you can't really blame the OP. Any future purchaser should be informed of the room's status during purchase and treat it as what it is. Again, if they choose to ignore the rules that's their decision.

I think a bit of perspective is needed and a little bit less self righteousness :rolleyes:

It would just be a case of using it for 3-4 hours a day maximum and all I am looking to put up there would be a decent sized workstation, a filing cabinet and a computer with associated accessories (Printer, Scanner etc).

THe point about temperature (b....... hot in summer and b...... cold in winter has been made. Lofts are also frequently damp in winter.

Have you thought about how heavy a fiing cabinet would be, would you want it joining your kids in bed one night with part of the ceiling?

You need to strengthen the floor and insulate the space as a minimum.

Or use the dining room table as most people do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back