Basic Wiring Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I have a problem, which I can't understand how to fix, but I'm sure its a trivial answer for any electrician.

I had a double switch in my room which controls a light in my room and a light outside it. The light outside the room is also controlled by another switch downstairs.

I have attempted to put in a double dimmer switch in my room for the two lights, but have got confused with different labelling on the switches.

On the original switch the wiring was as follows:
A- light inside my room
B- light outside room

A L1 Com Red wire
A L2 Yellow wire
A L3 Empty

B L1 Com Black
B L2 Blue and Black wires
B L3 Two red wires

The new switches have Com, L1 and L2.
I connected these up how I thought fitted with the new switch.
However, when I turn on one switch it turns one light on, and when I turn off the switch it turns the other light on.
The other switch only controls one light and will turn that on and off as it should.

I have probably got the wiring wrong on the new switch.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Sarah Coleman

Sponsored Links
the wiring you have posted there seems entirely implausible..

one cable is a 3 core and earth and will be used to connect to the switch downstairs..

the other 2 cables are red and black switch wires.. one from each light..

the switches you have posted seem wrong.. perhaps you mistook the layout..

switch A will have 1 terminal one side, and 2 terminals the other..//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:twogang

switch B will be an inverted version of switch A.. with 2 terminals the same side as the single terminal from A and a single terminal the same side as the 2 terminals from A..

this makes 3 terminals on each side..

the single red and the single black are one switch ( your room switch.. )

the 2 reds together, black/blue together and the yellow on it's own are the other switch..

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting

You may need to disconnect all cores & invest in a DMM to bell out cables.

I think you've mixed 'em up.

You have a red, yellow & blue (quite possibly a 3 core & E cable)

and two reds/blacks (quite possibly 2 T & E cables)

The 3 core (if this is what it is) probably links to the other 2 way switch.

Look at the other switch to see which colour goes where.

The other T&E cables go as follows: the one which when joined together lights the fitting that is controlled from two positions goes with the 3 core (see Wiki for diagrams).

The other T&E cable will control the light fitting with only 1 switch position.

Sponsored Links
secure is getting a bit forgetful and slow in his old age. Time to hand over the reigns to me, Simon? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks ever so much for the advice.

Yes there are 3 lots of cables. 2x Red/Black/Earth and 1x Yellow/Blue/Red/Earth.

Could you tell me how to wire these to the switch possibly?

The double switch has C/L1/L2 on both switches.

I have tried to take a photo of the instructions if that helps.
dsc01227qg7.jpg
[/img]

Thank you again for your time.

Sarah Coleman

right luv,
1 . go to the other two way switch and look in there to find out what colour cable on the red/blue/yellow cable goes into the terminal marked c.
this should be connected to terminal marked c at your new switch.
2. put the remaining two cores into L1 and L2
3.get one of your two cores(red and black) and put these into L1 and L2 of the same switch.
4.get your remaining two core red and black and put the red into terminal c and the black into terminal L1
5.join all earths together into the terminal on the back of the box and bring another out to earth the switch if its metal.
6. if the two way ends up controlling the wrong light then swop your two core red and black cables over like for like.
7.if it works(i dont see why it wont) give yourself a pat on the back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back