Basin Tap - thread length query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies if this is a dumb question - I am pretty new to the whole "DIY thing" and still finding my way... anyway, here goes...

I need to replace some bathroom basin taps, no problem... I successfully shut off water, drained the pipes and after a bit of a struggle removed the old taps... only problem is that the new taps have a 5.5cm long thread (the bit that sits on the underside of the basin and which connects to the compression nut on the water pipe) whereas the old taps only had a 4cm long thread - this means that there is 1.5cm of thread exposed on the basin and the taps obviously don't fit flush...

My question is, is a 4cm long thread still common (they are old taps I am removing) or do I have to buy 5.5cm threads and then machine them to size... I have tried to move the copper pipes to make additional head room for the thred but as they are cemented into the wall there is very little play

Any pointers would be gratefully received!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I think you may have a bit of a problem. You can't really cut the stubs down to size unless you have some very good equipment, since the end makes the seal with the tap connector.

Your best bet is to try and modify your existing pipework, so that it fits.

I appreciate that this might be difficult, given your circumstances. You could look at the possibility of cutting out the pipework, leaving just enough space to get the compression end of a flexible tap connector on. Of course, not having seen it, this might not be suitable as you might have to bend the flexi so much that it kinks.

Good luck.

Cheers for the input, ArtfulBodger, altering the pipes could be done although I think it would be a messy job... one other alternative I was looking at was to source some taps with a 4cm thread... can anyone tell me if a 4cm is still common in modern manufactured taps or has the industry standard moved to a the 5.5cm measurement?

Cheers

Cutting tap threads down to make them fit :?: :?: :?: :confused:
Cut both supply pipes off approx 9 inches below the tap connecting nut and discard.
Fit 1/4 turn isolating valve to both pipes. Fit 4 inch piece of copper to both valves and then fit a flexi hose to both.
Fit onto taps and job is a good un ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, cheers for the further feedback... sounds like some pipework is on the cards... should be interesting :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back