Basin Tap water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just re-fitted the bathroom which included a new layout and consequently new pipework.

Everything is fine except for the pressure from the free standing mixer tap servicing the basin. It's something of a dribble.

With the new layout the pipes going to the tap in question take the following course. Enter bathroom as 22mm at which point T's off to 15mm. The pipe run then proceeds round 4 more elbows travelling a distance of about 4.5 metres before going through two in line isolation valves and then to the tap.

It is possible for the pipes to take a much more direct route to the tap, going through one T down to 15mm and then bend the pipe straight up to the tap after about only 1.5m. Will this make a considerable difference to the pressure or should I think about getting a pump on it?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can you raise the tank which will give you more pressure. It may be your new tap at fault which needs so much pressure for it to work. :(

Sponsored Links
So you don't think the fact that the pipe run goes round 4 elbows and through a couple of in line isolation valves is causing any reduction in pressure?

I can raise the tank but the pressure was fine on the old basin before I changed it all?

as bahco said its probably that you have fitted mains pressure taps on a gravity system.

I've just checked the website where I got the unit/basin and tap (all as one package deal) from. It does say it's a high pressure tap... Doh! I'm surprised they supply that type of tap for a Bathroom as most bathrooms are gravity fed... aren't they?

Anyway, so I either need a new tap or a pump then?

gravity systems are still very common but with combi boilers now days they are going mains pressure.
so shops are selling alot more mains pressure taps etc.
its your job to check before buying.
you can fit a pump but thats more expence and they are noisey.
i would change the taps.

No you're right, I'm man enough to take it on the chin, I should've checked that.

Would there be anything wrong with plumbing the mixer tap into the supply side of the Power Shower (it's a 1.8 bar pump) Other then the obvious noise problem?

So you don't think the fact that the pipe run goes round 4 elbows and through a couple of in line isolation valves is causing any reduction in pressure?

The pressure loss would be small and I would suspect an air lock or maybe putting the old taps back on to see if your new tap is the culprit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back