Basin Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!

In our old bathroom we had a full-width acrylic basin with a kitchen-style unit under.

We'd like the same in our new bathroom, as we need the storage space, only something a bit more modern.

I've got two of these:

http://www.splashdirect.com/Bathroom-Suites/Basins/Recessed-Basins/sc1588/p17441.aspx

And my plan is to mount them into two 500mm wide base units bolted together (instead of 1x 1000mm for extra strength) kitchen units.

However, there's a twist: I don't want a 900mm+ worktop height, I want 800mm. And the depth I want is no more than 500mm, not 570.

Initially, I thought this is easy: I'll buy two bog-standard units, these were the ones I was considering: http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/160954
and I'll cut down the backs to eliminate the service void, that's normally at least 50mm.

Then I can remove the legs and replace them with these:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/370494540658?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

But that leaves a gap at the bottom that looks a bit naff.

Oh, and I'm on a bit of a budget....especially if I need to replace all my soil pipes...(see thread in GD...... :rolleyes: ).

I am but a mere sparkie...Any suggestions from the great folk of Chippiedom gratefully accepted!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
not sure it will be any stronger as the middle wall wont touch the sink in many additional places once you have removed the half to 2/3 for the waste and access

I was kinda hoping that having two 500's and a thicker 40milli top would mean better support for the basins compared to a 1000 base unit (less support in the middle) and 30mm top (thinner).

Any thoughts on how to construct a better unit?

i build my own from pine but not what you want really
jason b is your man as i dont use many faced boards at all i prefer the country style pine look painted or not :D

Sponsored Links
I would recut the groove for the back to hide all the pipework behind. If you can't cut the groove then fit battens around the back of teh units say 75mm in and then fit the cut down backs to that from the front with screws for easy access. Makes for a neater inside to teh cupboard an no gaps at the back to loose things down.

Regarding the gap at teh bottom use the strips you cut off the back to make short "skirtings" and fit them set in under the front and sides like you would fit the plinth on a kitchen unit.

Support wise a 40mm top will give enough support if on a 1000 base or two 500s

HAving said that:

Have you tried this layout for elbow room? trying to use two basins on a 1000 width top will be very cramped

Thanks! The times the basins will be used together it will be by two boys, not adults, so there should be a bit more breathing space.

Thanks, fox. I recall seeing that piccy before. Can you tell me please:

(i) the width of the base unit.

(ii) the diameter of the basin.

(iii) the height of the basin top.

Thanks.

Job I did a few years ago, from memory it's a pair of 300mm doors so 600 wide and about 750 high. Bowl was around 500mm dia. and about 120mm high.

Cheers.

I'm actually wondering whether to bite the bullet and not bother cutting down the unit at all. IE, you'd end up with a basin top height of around 900 & depth of 600 instead of 800 and 500.

What do you think? The basins will be mounted towards the front edge of the worktop to give space at the back for the taps, so do you think the kids would reach OK?

The youngest is around 1.33m tall.

Or do you think it would look a bit overpowering in a bathroom, especially inbetween a toilet and a bath (height 600)?

Usually use a plastic step designed for children to access normal height sink and loo. Seems a little pointless lower the height unless your a dwarf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back