Register plate fitting: wtf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering about this before it arrived, but deep down inside I was hoping that when it arrived it would come with some magical and obvious solution. However, it didn't:

How do people fix register plates in place in a (pretty standard looking) ~25cm deep chimney, if even a small drill won't fit in there?

I doubt this is going to help me; I'd need hammer action for masonry:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/220773640815?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

How do people usually fit these?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Use one of those 90 degree attachments and blue Bosch multi drill bit - you won't need hammer.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps if you explain what it is that you are trying to do then we might be able to help you further?
I suspect that you are intending to install a solid fuel stove? How come this particular Register was ordered - is someone else involved or advising?

Perhaps if you explain what it is that you are trying to do then we might be able to help you further?
I suspect that you are intending to install a solid fuel stove? How come this particular Register was ordered - is someone else involved or advising?

Yup. Pretty standard stuff. Register plate for a woodburning stove. The plate is a ~1-2mm plate. I think I'm going to give up on the brackets, cut the register plate into a sort-of cross, then fold the arms of the cross down and fasten those to the sides of the chimney, which, as the chimney is wide but shallow, I can drill into.

Probably need another picture :)

Cheers,

James

You dont need to fix the angle iron up so high, plus turn it the other way round so as the one flange is pointing down instead of up.

You need to notify bco if your fitting the stove yourself, there are a few guidelines to follow.
You pay the fee, they inspect it and issue certificate.

If you use a Hetas registered installer, they sort it all out for you, plus will fit the register plate, it needs fitting properly plus you need access for sweeping flue.

You dont need to fix the angle iron up so high, plus turn it the other way round so as the one flange is pointing down instead of up.

Yeah, good plan. That's what I did in the end. I attached the rear of the plate and the sides. The front is not attached to the chimney breast, but I've rivited a piece of angle iron across the front, and it's surprisingly rigid. It's not going anywhere :D

You need to notify bco if your fitting the stove yourself, there are a few guidelines to follow.
You pay the fee, they inspect it and issue certificate.

If you use a Hetas registered installer, they sort it all out for you, plus will fit the register plate, it needs fitting properly plus you need access for sweeping flue.

I've got building control coming in anyway, so this gets added to the list of things they'll be checking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back