Bath drainage at a standstill - have I messed up my waste ru

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bath and sink have always been joined however, new bathroom and I decided to just extend the bath waste to the other end of the bath and the sink is in the same place.

When I let the bath water out it'll whoosh down to the sink tee and then after a little geyser from the sink waste everything will literally come to a standstill.

I've got decent drops on the pipes and there doesn't seem to be a blockage.

Low level P trap on the bath and a bottle on the sink.

Any ideas before I call a plumber? This has only been happening since I have made changes.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
photos required !

No1 rule of plumbing - water does not drain uphill

without photos it's a guessing game

There is some restriction after the tee.
The bath water pushes air up the basin waste pipe and the pressure is released via the water in the basin trap instead of flowing smoothly and downhill.

Sponsored Links
I can pour a bucket down the basin waste and it's gone in a flash. I do the same in the bath and it backs up!

Could the shallow trap be slowing things down or is this a major issue?

Thanks

It's not the trap.

The flexible immediately downstream won't help matters but if it was that the sink wouldn't fountain.

There is something wrong where the bath drain meets the sink drain but unfortunately you photos don't illustrate the junction.

Which pipe is actually draining the basin?
Which way is the flow meant to be?
Is it from right to left on your photos?

Hi

Yeah the bath is the starting point so right to left as you say.

Thanks

Then the bath waste is not fitted to flow via the trap.

Thanks for the replies, got annoyed and took a hacksaw to the waste. Was 1/3 full of grout. Seems the basin could manage to get rid of it but the bath had no chance.

Sometimes people don't realise that tile grout semi-sets in a trap. Just look in the bottom of your bucket and see what's left. :LOL:

Still, at least you found the problem and luckily you tested it before it was all finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back