Bath drainage problem - what's wrong with this picture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I had a new bath installed and it is not draining very well at all. My plumber says its because of the lack of drop.

However, 3 days before the new bath was fitted the old bath stopped draining very well too - having previously been fine. I assumed this was because I had blocked it up washing paint and wallpaper paste and stuff down it, and that come the new bath all would be resolved.

I've taken a photo of the waste pipe here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/23546519@N04/2247569656/

Can someone please take a look and tell me if my plumber is right, that there is a problem with the drop and that's why it won't drain? Or is there a blockage somewhere?

Thanks very much

strangedays[/img]

Sponsored Links
from the look of it, thats old school brown plastic pipe 1.5 inch. the fall seems fine to me, potentially though it may be to steep and cause glugging in drain. if its drain slowly though, there is a block, your plumber/cowboy show of replaced that pipe if you had told him before he started that there was an issue. personally i'd of changed it anyway.

p.s, if you supplied and he fitted, it is your problem especially if you didn't tell him of the problem beforehand.

try goin to a plumbers merchants (not diy store) and get some drain clearance stuff, basically sulphuric acid.

Take the treap off and make sure it's clear, then shove a hosepipe down the copper drain pipe as far as you can.

If you pour a LOT of boiling water down the drain first it'll help soften any blockage.

Be very careful with the drain cleaning stuff, it can take the chrome off the fitting, damage some bath materials, and corrode the copper waste pipe.

AS Chris said take the trap off and stick a hose down the pipe , or buy a flexible rod from B&Q for about a fiver.

Sponsored Links
thanks very much

btw im not sure the brown pipe is plastic - im sure i remember it being metal

i did mention to him when he was fitting it that he needed to make sure there were no blockages (eg, ram a pole down there). i guess he didn't. he's coming back on saturday to fix a leak so will suggest he has another go.

if not, acid it is

cheers

strangedays

thanks very much

btw im not sure the brown pipe is plastic - im sure i remember it being metal

i did mention to him when he was fitting it that he needed to make sure there were no blockages (eg, ram a pole down there). i guess he didn't. he's coming back on saturday to fix a leak so will suggest he has another go.

if not, acid it is

cheers

strangedays

It isn't plastic it's Copper read the above posts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back