Bath height

LJK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First post from a long time admirer of the site!

Our plumber has fitted a bath (400mm internal height / deep). It feels quite high in the room (the edge is 600mm off floor). So there's approx 200mm under the bath.

Wondering about having it lower, so took a look at the plumbing stack under it.

Find it odd that he had to pack the feet on top of a timber. So, assuming the fall can be made to work, is there a way (i.e. better arrangement and choice of components) to save height on this assemblage [that's obv the bath overflow in dark grey] ?

upload_2021-5-3_17-3-46.png

thanks for your thoughts,

L

Sponsored Links
It looks as if he has packed it up, to allow the trap to clear the floor - drain seems to drop much lower under floor. Depending on joist locations - You could easily cut a hole in the floorboards, to allow the trap to sit much lower and the bath.

Worst case, with a joist in the way - you could easily lower that by 75mm.

Last edited:
Normal for a standard bath is 510/520mm from finished floor to bottom of lip/rim. Rims are usually about 30/40 mm. It’s about 50mm higher than needed. I do alter heights occasionally to suit/reduce the tile cuts prior to tiling.

Using timber on legs is standard good practice, it aids stability & spreads the weight

Sponsored Links
Flexible waste fittings are a no no though. (With your type of bath) Lazy & could/will create blockage issues later on.

thanks. So with those fittings it will go lower.

Can the drain pipe from the overflow be connected after the trap? That would reduce the height of the stack of pipes and let the bath sit lower still.

Alternatively, something like this appears much more compact.

76043.jpg

thanks, L

Ive fitted one of these on my very low level bath, Ive kept it lower by mounting it on angle iron to spread the weight instead of timber.

47649AD0-6E52-4692-B2E0-65FAF062F9B7.jpeg
6A3A5D68-A93B-4F79-A977-7541B9B1609E.jpeg

Nice. Looking up the product "Overall height, including trap and waste is only 112mm".

Your attention to detail is inspiring.

The shallowest traps easily available & to fit are called “unitrap”.

You need to check with plumber if he put the bath in at that height to suit the tiles. ie- if using 600 x 600 mm tiles, he might have wanted to finish full tile top & bottom & bath rim height. If he didn’t take tile cuts into consideration, I’d worry personally.

Couple of things that need to be asked IMO before the height issue -

Why did he use a shallow trap (does the waste drain into a hopper (air break)) and why did he use a flexi pipe, both could cause issues later down the line.

The waste drains into the stack directly (no hopper). Should one not use a "shallow trap" in such case? Curious as to why not?
upload_2021-5-4_9-8-54.png

Flexi pipe - probably just easier to negotiate join (!?)
upload_2021-5-4_9-10-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-4_9-8-5.png
    upload_2021-5-4_9-8-5.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 85
Unitraps i menioned are dry traps. No need to worry about depth of trap. Flexible waste cons are a red flag to standard of installer.

Curious, what's this part (and should I have one on my bath)?! Imagine it's a vent of some kind.

upload_2021-5-4_15-4-20.png

Our bath drains, alongside the loo and the sink into the stack outside, and there is a vent at the top of that. So perhaps not.

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-4_15-2-21.png
    upload_2021-5-4_15-2-21.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 90

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back