Bath Panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please forgive my naivety but when installing a bath, should you need to cut the height of a front panel or should the bath be set to the panel height so not height cut is needed? Hope this make some sort of sense. Last question, when the plasticish panel is in place it seems quite flimsy although it wont come out without lifting up first, is this the norm? screws are also used to secure in place at the bottom

Sponsored Links
Depends on the type of panel - A lot of people re-inforce them with wooden battening to take the flex out of them - Especially the cheap package deal ones.

As for cutting it - Don't even bother; set the bath legs so the lip of the bath matches the existing size of the panel nicely.

It's my understanding that most baths are designed so that the rim should be between 500 & 550mm from the floor.

Despite this, you should measure the height of the panel to see what height to set your bath so that you don't have to cut it if possible. (A lot of panels are moulded so that you only have so much 'cut off' anyway.)

Ideally, you should only really be cutting for an uneven floor or any supply or waste pipes that run to and from the bath above floor level anyway. Why make it harder for yourself!

The panel sounds like par for the course nowadays. The lip of the bath and the screws at the bottom are all that is necessary to stop it falling out.

I presume your bath has at least one short edge to a wall if not both ends if it is in a recess. You could always use sealant along the vertical edge once it has been installed (although you would need to use a knife to break the seal for access in the future).

Another suggestion is to fit a block of wood, similar to the floor piece, to the end wall at a central point, and place a screw here too, depending on the mould of the panel.

If you have a side and end panel the covering strip tends to lend a bit of rigidity once its all fixed in position too.[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back