Bath plug not closing fully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some repairs done (twice) to prevent leaks from the bath pipes, the bath plug no longer closes properly.

It was working perfectly before the 2nd leak was fixed.
There was a little extra 'play' on the turn so with very slight pressure you could make sure the plug was sealed.

I informed the builder and he tightened the bath plug screw to minimum depth, but the plug still does not fully close unless you press it directly. It has a circular knob on the bath that turns to close it.

The bath panel is tiled, but has a section that can be removed and resealed.

What can be adjusted to make the plug seal tight?

Sponsored Links
you mean a pop-up waste, not a plug?

They always leak eventually (as you've found), so you might as well cut your losses and bin it.

A plug and chain are the most dependable and durable option, but if you dislike the sight of a chain, Clacker wastes look OK and are not bad. The rubber sealing ring can be replaced after a few years when it wears.

Until you get round to it, lift the metal "plug" out and use one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUALITY-...567610?hash=item48b8d451ba:g:udoAAOSwuLZY1PCl

because you'll probably find that an ordinary bathplug, as sold in every highstreet throughout the land, doesn't quite fit the pop-up waste.

Pop-ups are ideally suited to showrooms, where they look stylish. Not quite as suitable in a room that contains water.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Check the spindle of the plug it often corrodes near the adjusting screw and sticks, a bit of wet and dry paper might sort it.

This is a brand new installation. It is now screwed all the way to it shortest setting and still does not fully close, which means something else needs to be adjusted

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but it was working perfectly before, which means it has been broken or misaligned. And this is an expensive bath. Sticking a rubber plug in is not going to cut it.

So is mine. I was disappointed when the expensive pop-up waste failed. As did the previous one.

Can you post pics of the operating handle ( I assume its the type that is also the overflow ). These are mostly cable operated and adjustment is by the screw and lock nut on the plug. If you remove the screw /nut totally ,does the plug then seat / seal fully ?

PopUp waste are best closed Manually as levers and cables last longer if just used to open .

This kind of thing would not happen in Japan :)
We accept **** design far too readily.
In any case it worked before, and I always want to find out how things work and why they break.
I will keep digging..

If you push down does the overflow knob turn? If so the answer could be that, failing that I would play around with the screw some more.

They always leak eventually (as you've found), so you might as well cut your losses and bin it.

A plug and chain are the most dependable and durable option, but if you dislike the sight of a chain, Clacker wastes look OK and are not bad. The rubber sealing ring can be replaced after a few years when it wears.

I have three installed for 10 years, rod operated and they have been fine. Only issue was getting the base to seal against the wash basins.

@undertrained yes the knob turns when the plug is pressed.
The screw is tightened all the way, which brings it as low to the tub as possible. I am sure something is amiss with the cable since the builders spent all day cursing and trying to fix a leak from behind the bath tap pipes. They probably got impatient and bodged something.
@Harry Bloomfield rod operated is for wash basins right? I have one of those and it works fine. It is also in plain view which makes things simpler if it ever needs adjusting. This is a bath plug with a cable type design. And yes getting a seal is what needs to happen :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back