Bath size

We've got a roll top bath.
It's crap. Takes forever to fill, and is uncomfortable to lie in.
Top Tip.

Fill your bath with plastic water bottles in order to have a deep luxurious bath, saves on hot water too.

Your welcome.

Sponsored Links
This might sound mad but I need some advice. I've just had a new bathroom put in but as I rent I had no input into this. The bath that's been fitted is smaller than the previous one and as I'm not small it's not comfortable width or depth wise. Also as my son gets taller and broader, there is no way he'll be able to fit into it! What size would this bath be? What can I do?
There is a concept in most types of tenancy contracts, more of a principle, that the landlord must "maintain" the property.

This means that it is not just maintain as a repairing obligation context, but an obligation to maintain the type/function/specification of the things that are included in the rental.

So, a smaller bath than that fitted at the time the property was rented is a diminution of the tenancy (a lowering of the standard of that rented) and so is unlawful under typical tenancy contracts.

Tell the landlord that it is not acceptable, or see a solicitor for advice.

There is a concept in most types of tenancy contracts, more of a principle, that the landlord must "maintain" the property.

This means that it is not just maintain as a repairing obligation context, but an obligation to maintain the type/function/specification of the things that are included in the rental.

So, a smaller bath than that fitted at the time the property was rented is a diminution of the tenancy (a lowering of the standard of that rented) and so is unlawful under typical tenancy contracts.

Tell the landlord that it is not acceptable, or see a solicitor for advice.

If you follow this advice expect eviction notice

Sponsored Links
Move to a country where tenants have better rights?

What does a tenant do then when the landlord is in breach of the Tenancy Agreement, brainbox?

Let’s look at it from a different angle the landlord has spent a few thousand on a new bathroom, the tenant then states not happy with the bath size and wants to speak to a solicitor and pretty much try and force change.

The landlord would then need to spend thousands doing that. I will guarantee you that would not happen it would be the tenant leaving that would happen.

While your advice is not wrong I am just telling the poster the likely outcome if following it which would be eviction. Your advice is like a bottle of rum it might be good but could have adverse side effects which could result in something bad happening :cautious:

Let’s look at it from a different angle the landlord has spent a few thousand on a new bathroom, the tenant then states not happy with the bath size and wants to speak to a solicitor and pretty much try and force change.

The landlord would then need to spend thousands doing that. I will guarantee you that would not happen it would be the tenant leaving that would happen.

While your advice is not wrong I am just telling the poster the likely outcome if following it which would be eviction. Your advice is like a bottle of rum it might be good but could have adverse side effects which could result in something bad happening :cautious:

The Tenancy Agreement is a two way commitment with obligations and responsibilities on both sides.

No tenant should be in a postion where they feel that they can't complain about the property or tenancy. Whether it's a major or a seemingly trivial issue, any tenant should not be discouraged from complaining to the landlord. This time it's a bath, and if as you say the tenant risks eviction so should not complain, then your advice will be exactly the same for the next time ... the next faulty light switch, the next roof leak the next insecure window, then next time the heating goes out. What you are saying is no tenant should ever complain, which is wrong.

I find it odd that a landlord would specify a smaller bath. I find it more likley that the builder has just thrown a smaller bath in for one of several potential reasons.

The actual circumstances need to be determined, and that can only be once the landlord is made aware of the tenant's complaint. Then if things can't be sorted out amicably, and the issue is a landlord's obligation, the tenant has the option of doing something or nothing.

Well thanks for some helpful replies, but to the rude people, why be rude, it's very upsetting. I'm only asking a question as I suffer from mental health problems which causes me great anxiety. I won't bother again.

There’s a lot of agreements and things in place for all sorts of stuff but that does not mean that is what happens.

The likely outcome from disputing something with a landlord which will cause them a problem is eviction I have seen this many times.

Giving advice is good but you should be a bit careful sometimes and state what could happen if followed.

People never being in a situation like this might take your advice as gospel and follow it only to find themselves getting kicked out which you would not accept responsibility for or probably really care about but that person now has a lot of stress in their life.

The Tenancy Agreement is a two way commitment with obligations and responsibilities on both sides.

No tenant should be in a postion where they feel that they can't complain about the property or tenancy. Whether it's a major or a seemingly trivial issue, any tenant should not be discouraged from complaining to the landlord. This time it's a bath, and if as you say the tenant risks eviction so should not complain, then your advice will be exactly the same for the next time ... the next faulty light switch, the next roof leak the next insecure window, then next time the heating goes out. What you are saying is no tenant should ever complain, which is wrong.

I find it odd that a landlord would specify a smaller bath. I find it more likley that the builder has just thrown a smaller bath in for one of several potential reasons.

The actual circumstances need to be determined, and that can only be once the landlord is made aware of the tenant's complaint. Then if things can't be sorted out amicably, and the issue is a landlord's obligation, the tenant has the option of doing something or nothing.
Thankyou. You talk sense.

The likely outcome from disputing something with a landlord which will cause them a problem is eviction I have seen this many times.
I stronglly suspect that I have seen many more L&T disputes than you have and it is not at all "likely" that tenants get evicted for complaining.

Again, no tenant should be afraid to complain to their landlord about issues with the property or tenancy. And no tenant should be advised that "if you complain you will likely to be evicted", as that's just nonsense and plain wrong.

I doubt any country has better rights than those available to UK tenants.

That's interesting.

Under what circumstances can a tenant be evicted in Germany?

When is an English tenant protected from being evicted for no reason?

Must properties rented out by an English landlord be fit for human habitation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back