Bath tap washer won't fit over bath hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the bath taps broke so just had to buy a new set. After finally removing the old tap which was a struggle, I noticed the bath tap had some sort of clay type compound all over the thread and inside the square indent in the ceramic bath. I'm guessing the square indents were to stop taps spinning?

Anyway the new taps washer don't quite cover the square so water will flow down the tap hole

Any suggestions what I should use to either build up the square indent so I can use the washer or is there away without using the washer?

Sponsored Links
You would usually use what's called a split kick (square) or top hat washer. That and a little silicone to fill in any gaps if needed.

Perhaps "Essex Yellow Fix-a-Tap Tap Fitting Kit for 3/4" Taps"

or choose a tap with a wider body (+ top hat washer underneath)

or gub it up with silicone/CT1/SticksLikeSh*t or similar.

I'm guessing your's is cast iron bath vintage 1960s or earlier.

Sponsored Links
Yeah the house was built in 60s so the bath is probably from back then

The taps base just covers the square holes. the washer that was provided with the tap is 45mm in dia and is a couple mill short so any water would just seep under the tap.

The top hat washers that I looked up only seem to be used for securing the tap ?

It has timber knocked up under the bath where the tap holes are so I don't think the tap will be loose once tightened with the brass nut

The main issue is filling up the square and sealing the tap base

I have used CT1 before and it's strong stuff.

Would plumbers mate work? Just trying not to go down using extreme CT1 measures haha

1. Plumber's Mait won't work - it's non-setting.
2. A bit of brass flat 5 - 6 mm thick drilled to accept tap then cut in square to fit hole. Another round washer of same under bath.
3. If you want to be really posh, get it chrome plated - but it will cost you £50 to £100 in my experience.
4. Alternatively:
4a. Use aluminium and polish it with Brasso. Try and insulate it (tap?) where it touches the bath and taps, or you will get electrolytic action and it make corrode into place.
4b. Use Delrin or similar plastic. Perhaps black for contrast. Again can be polished with Brasso.

I just went with plumbers mate, I rolled it up evenly and placed it around the square. I then tightened the tap up with the plumbers mate squeezing out. I trimmed it back and cleaned it all up so it looks nice. It's barely visible.

The tap is rock solid and tight to the timber, it's not moving. I tested it with spraying the shower head around the tap and not a single leak underneath bath

It will be only a temporary fix anyway until we get a new bathroom as everything is dated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back