Bathroom Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a question for all you guys.

Lets say you all have a bathroom that is fully done out with expensive floor tiles and wall tiles, all professionally finished etc. (pretend it is actually yours)

there is no electrical appliances fitted into the bathroom, apart from the lighting circuit.

In your opinion, what is the best way to connect all your supplementary bonding, would it be for the fact of clipping your earth cable all around externally of the wall tiles etc. and then possibly running it upto the light switch where you will eventually have to remove the wall tiles to connect to the earthing?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

It was suggested that it is better just to run the earthing back to the CU, but I am sure that this is not supposed to be done, probably read it on this site at some point but cant find the original post.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to run the bonding to the light inside an adjacent room ie inside an airing cupboard, or built in wardrobe?

How about outside (suitably protected) perhaps in trunking semi concealed at the side of a window frame or behind a rainwater downpipe?

I saw this done where the cable ran from the loft in white trunking down the side of a window frame, under the window sill to emerge in the bathroom behind the sink. The trunking ran the whole length of the window sill to give it the appearance of being part of it.

Not too sure about this next suggestion, perhaps someone will correct me, would double insulated or 12v light fittings still have to be bonded?

running back to the cu isnt what bonding is about.
my main pointers to help keap it neat/ minimise it would be:
-as noted above you can do it just outside the room (further if its within 0.05ohms (i think thats the value)
-remember you only need to bond each circuit/pipe once so bonding the cold water feed under the bath to the other circuits means the sink doesnt need bonding (assuming its on the same pipework)
-if you have a sufficient lengths of plastic pipe where the pipework comes into the bathroom the metalwork (eg rad) its connected to doesnt need bonding.

the above can minimise a lot of ugly clamps and yel/grn wire in the bathroom.

sm1thson should have said:
running back to the cu isnt what supplementary bonding is about.

Under baths is a good place.

Airing cupboards are a godsend.

I sometimes run a 4 milli up the switch drop capping if possible.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back