Bathroom ceiling insulation advice - flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Am doing some work in the bathroom and decided to insulate the ceiling whilst I'm at it. It's downstairs in a Victorian mid terrace and has a flat roof. Pulled part of it down today and even with the milder temperatures, there was definitely cooler air coming through.

p1040652kb.jpg

p1040656t.jpg

Height to work with from underside of flat roof to top of existing ceiling is 160mm. The 2 joists I can measure are 375 between. All looks clean and dry. Exhaust fan to external wall. Single light in ceiling and wiring across to fan.

There is no obvious cross ventilation. Does it need it?

Not sure why there are additional thin pieces of wood either side of exposed joist. They seem slightly loose and may have been damp at some point

Am after advice on how thick the insulation should be (ie what air gap) and what type.

My plan was insulation like celotex around 50mm thick, adding a vapour barrier, re-sheeting, skimming and painting.

Any advice/comments appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The counter-battens you see may be firrings or diminishing strips.

If you insulate from below it is advisable to ventilate, unless you fill the void solid with celotex and foam any gaps.

Use foil back (duplex) plasterboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back