Bathroom Doors locked inside - unable to open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I came home in the evening to find that our toilet door has locked inside automatically. I couldn't open it from the outside.
The doors are wooden. I have added some pictures of the door and the lock from outside.
//www.diynot.com/network/kutuboy007/albums/11118

Can you please advise me on how i can open this door?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try and take the pins out of the hinges.

Cut the hinges with an angle grinder

Cut through the latch with a junior hack saw blade.

Andy

Unscrew the handle.
Use a screwdriver to open the latch, or slide a bit of coat hanger into the frame and door and pull the latch back.

Sponsored Links
No worries its a basic internal door knobset.
Wont work on a front door :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

this happens usually when the locking knob on the inside is just at the point if flicking over to the lock position. when you close the door, the movement/vibration is enough to move it fully to the locked position

Alarm - If i manage to get the front door open with this trick, then i will be the most wanted :)

bhm1712 - yes, the locks i assume should be around 30 years old. I looked at some videos of how to change the knobs for privacy locks. In the videos, the privacy knobs had a screw in the front, but i am unable to find one in mine? If i want to chage this, then should i need to replace the whole door? This know is ok for our toilet, but, i should change the locks for the guest ones.

Any suggestions of how i can do this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back