Bathroom Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking in this forum for a while and found it very interesting indeed. I am just looking for confirmation really.

I am planning to put 5 downlighters in the bathroom to replace a current light fitting.

1. It seems the general consensus is to loop the lights from the main connection. Is this correct

2. I am purchasing IP65 halogen 12v lv lights, would I also need to run these alongside the transformers.

Hope you can confirm this/Help

TIA
DAMO

Sponsored Links
Damien, firstly, are you aware that you can buy 230V 50mm dichroic Halogen downlighters?

They appear the same as 12V ones, but have a different connector. They protrude into the void more than the 12V, but if the space is there they are the better bet as you do not have the cost of the transformers, and the lamps last about twice as long in normal operation.

Having said that, and to answer your question, Yes, all you need to do is loop the switched live and neutral to the places where the transformers will be, this cable should contain an Earth Core, but it should only be connected at the Junction box end. At the Transformer end expose about 30mm of copper, bend it over on itself to lay against the sheath and then tape it up with insulating tape to prevent an contact with anything.

The transformers should have enough lead on them that they are about 200mm from the light when in operation. This is to prevent heat from the light causing damage to the transformers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back