Bathroom Earth Bonding

you can actually bond the pipe work in the bathroom to a cpc outside of the bathroom
I was given to believe it is acceptable practice to carry out supplementary bonding (for example) in an airing cupboard outside the bathroom. I don't think that sit. has changed. If it has, I stand corrected.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. Ricicle's point was that, regardless of where the bonding exists physically, it must connect to the correct CPC(s) [i.e.the CPC(s) of bathroom circuit(s)], not just 'any' CPC.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
it states 30mA RCD protection required for all circuits in a bath/shower,
That would be if you were installing the circuit(s) now.

does the RCD unit need to be by the consumer unit,
To omit supplementary bonding, ALL circuits in the location must be protected by an RCD AND certain conditions must be met.

The whole lighting circuit would need to be protected by the RCD therefore as the circuit starts at the CU it would have to be there.

can I take a spur and site the unit somewhere other than that ?
Spur from where to where?

I think you are going about this in the wrong way.
Firstly, you need to test/measure the continuity between the pipes themselves and exposed conductive parts.
The results will show whether supplementary bonding is required.
You may find they do not.
Either because they are already satisfactorily bonded or actually do not require it.

OK, the lighting circuit in the bathroom at the moment is part of the upstairs lighting circuit, a SELV fan is also part of this circuit (the fan is in zone 1, I will locate the transformer outside of zone 1 or 2), the fan is a recent addition, the lighting circuits in the bathroom and first floor installed 8 years ago.

If I include supplementary bonding (if required) - do I still need RCD protection ? - if yes, could I simply replace the RCB for this upastairs lighting circuit in the consumer unit with an RCD ? or do I need to run a separate wire up to the bathroom (as you say for separate circuit) and protect that with RDC at the consumer unit - do the regulations not allow RCD protected circuits running of a lighting circuit 'spur' ?
If no supplementary bonding if required - do I need RCD protection at all ?

I will go check the continuity between the pipes.

Regarding earthing terminal, my house is a 1930's semi, bought 8 years ago, we installed a consumer unit and followed the previous earth point - which was the incoming gas supply pipe, the gas meter was replaced and I'm sure the gas engineer even renewed the earth tag on the pipe whilst fitting, reading some forum threads it appears this is very bad practice - should I install a proper earth rod in the ground under the stairs by the consumer unit ?

Sponsored Links
If I include supplementary bonding (if required) - do I still need RCD protection ?
You do not have to fit RCDs to existing installations.
If installing new circuits, you do - or employ methods which do not need RCD protection.

It is more often the other way round.
RCD(s) would be fitted to avoid having to fit supplementary bonding.

- if yes, could I simply replace the MCB for this upastairs lighting circuit in the consumer unit with an RCD ?
Yes.

or do I need to run a separate wire up to the bathroom (as you say for separate circuit) and protect that with RDC at the consumer unit
There would be no point.

- do the regulations not allow RCD protected circuits running of a lighting circuit 'spur' ?
Not in this case because the whole circuit should be protected.
The spur is not another circuit. It would be part of the lighting circuit.

If no supplementary bonding if required - do I need RCD protection at all ?
Not for existing circuits/installations if you don't want to fit it.
It is an additional safety device which must be included in new wiring.

I will go check the continuity between the pipes.
Ok.

Regarding earthing terminal, my house is a 1930's semi, bought 8 years ago, we installed a consumer unit and followed the previous earth point - which was the incoming gas supply pipe,
If you are certain about that then it is wrong.
If you are mistaken then that is main equipotential bonding.

the gas meter was replaced and I'm sure the gas engineer even renewed the earth tag on the pipe whilst fitting, reading some forum threads it appears this is very bad practice - should I install a proper earth rod in the ground under the stairs by the consumer unit ?
It depends on your earthing arrangement.
Do you not have a large green&yellow cable coming from the supply cable or service head going to the consumer unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back