Bathroom Earth Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bonding across all pipework on my combi boiler - the bathroom is just above the kitchen (where the combi is) - do I need to bond the bath, taps and sink taps ? or any other metal parts ie metal towel rail and toilet roll holder.

And do I need to do it with huge great 4mm - or would something smaller do.

Have a ELV fan in Zone 1 only, downlighters are above 2,25mt so not in a zone.

Sponsored Links
Maybe, maybe not.

You will not have to bond the bath, taps or radiators but perhaps the pipes.

Firstly - Are all the circuits (Lights) which enter the bathroom protected by an RCD?

2.5 is OK if the cable has mechanical protection. If not, it must be 4 milli.

OK, so the bonding on the boiler immediately below on ground floor (about 8 foot away wont cover the pipes in the bathroom, and these will need bonding - do I take the earth cable down to the same earth point as the boiler pipes are earthed (I believe we are using the incoming gas pipes to earth from)

The light switch is on a pull cord, and is on the ceiling 2.5mt above, I am considering moving this to the wall by the bathroom door, but on the outside of the bathroom - for either of these do I still need RCD protection ?

There is no mechanical protection (I assume you mean RCD protection) - so it has to be 4mm then :(

Sponsored Links
I have bonding across all pipework on my combi boiler - the bathroom is just above the kitchen (where the combi is) - do I need to bond the bath, taps and sink taps ?
blank65x10t.gif
:rolleyes:

I have all the gas, heating and water pipes by the combi boiler earth bonded - do I still need to add additional bonding in the bathroom ?
Well, firstly there is no need to have bonding on the boiler pipework, (it's not earth bonding, BTW), unless it's actually in the bathroom, and even if it were you'd probably only need to run a cable to the cpcs of circuits supplying appliances etc in the room, as you'll probably find that all the boiler pipework is soundly connected together at the manifold...

And secondly having it bonded does nothing to affect any requirements for supplementary bonding in the bathroom, unless it's very close and all the bathroom pipes are bonded. You'd still need to connect to the cpcs though.

Surely your 17th Edition Guide tells you all about main and supplementary bonding, and the circumstances under which the latter can be omitted from bathrooms?

or any other metal parts ie metal towel rail and toilet roll holder.
blank65x10t.gif
:rolleyes:

I have a simple metal towel rail and toilet roll holder - would that require bonding ?
Only in the Wild and Wacky World that exists inside the head of a certain Mr. David Cockburn ;)

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=228045&start=0

//www.diynot.com/search/forum-author.php?search=david911cockburn[/QUOTE]

And do I need to do it with huge great 4mm - or would something smaller do.

With the Bonding, just read this article:
http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...5-supplementary-bonding-connections-cpcs.html
And read my 17th Explained and Illust.
blank65x10t.gif
What did that article, and your book, tell you about the size you need to use?

OK, so the bonding on the boiler immediately below on ground floor (about 8 foot away wont cover the pipes in the bathroom, and these will need bonding - do I take the earth cable
It's not an earth cable, it's a bonding cable, and you don't take it anywhere outside the bathroom.

down to the same earth point as the boiler pipes are earthed
They are not earthed.

(I believe we are using the incoming gas pipes to earth from)
You're not.

And I sincerely hope you are not using your gas supply pipe as your installation earth - that would be very dangerous.

The light switch is on a pull cord, and is on the ceiling 2.5mt above, I am considering moving this to the wall by the bathroom door, but on the outside of the bathroom - for either of these do I still need RCD protection ?
RCD protection is applied to circuits, not accessories. If the lighting circuit enters the bathroom then it needs RCD protection.

There is no mechanical protection (I assume you mean RCD protection)
No - mechanical means what it says - physical, to do with movement, impact, stress etc.

Read my book again, yes it states 30mA RCD protection required for all circuits in a bath/shower, does the RCD unit need to be by the consumer unit, can I take a spur and site the unit somewhere other than that ?

Thanks.

it states 30mA RCD protection required for all circuits in a bath/shower,
That would be if you were installing the circuit(s) now.

does the RCD unit need to be by the consumer unit,
To omit supplementary bonding, ALL circuits in the location must be protected by an RCD AND certain conditions must be met.

The whole lighting circuit would need to be protected by the RCD therefore as the circuit starts at the CU it would have to be there.

can I take a spur and site the unit somewhere other than that ?
Spur from where to where?

I think you are going about this in the wrong way.
Firstly, you need to test/measure the continuity between the pipes themselves and exposed conductive parts.
The results will show whether supplementary bonding is required.
You may find they do not.
Either because they are already satisfactorily bonded or actually do not require it.

I was picking up on the ambiguity of your post as you didn't say that it had to be the cpc of the bathroom lighting circuit. You just said "you can bond it to a cpc outside of the bathroom.
This might mislead people into thinking they can bond it to any cpc ;)

you can actually bond the pipe work in the bathroom to a cpc outside of the bathroom

I was given to believe it is acceptable practice to carry out supplementary bonding (for example) in an airing cupboard outside the bathroom.

I don't think that sit. has changed. If it has, I stand corrected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back