Bathroom extract fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Firstly, I'm a spark to trade but been away from the contracting for over 30 years.
I have been asked to replace an extract fan in the bathroom. The home owner tells me that you must now have a spur unit fused at 3amp for the fan as this is now a regulation. The current fan (to be replaced) is a timer fan wired off the lighting circuit. This is not a fancy fan with a built in light.

Can someone please advise if a replacement fan wired off the lighting circuit must also be wired through a spur unit fused at 3amp?
Thanks in anticipation from someone who is not up on the regs.

BTW I think the modern term for a spur unit is a FCU.

Steveo

Sponsored Links
If the fan is supplied from a lighting circuit rated at 5 or 6 amps, then there is no need for an FCU. (This would only be required if the fan was supplied from a higher rated circuit)

However there really should be some sort of local isolator for the fan which isolates all live connections (i.e. all phase(s) and neutral(s))

Yes it should have a 3A FCU so that you can isolate the fan should you need to work on it.

The instructions probably say 3A FCU if the fan is to be wired into a ring circuit. No FCU is necessary if its into the lighting circuit, you do need an isolating switch for the fan, however. 3-pole if its a timer fan.

Sponsored Links
Hi all
And thanks for the replies. It does make sense to install an isolation switch although this would be easier to wire in a new install rather than to retrofit.

TTC, do you get triple pole isolating switches? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks to all again for quick response.

Three pole fan isolators here, or at any wholesaler.

If I am retrofitting an isolator then the easiest way tends to be to install a 3 pole pull switch adjacent to the fan, and only leave 6" of string dangling from the ceiling to prevent people using the isolator as an on / off switch.

RFL
Thanks for this info, I didn't realize you could get 3 pole isolators for fans. The pull cord will be ideal for this application.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back