Bathroom extractor fan old vs new wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I’m currently trying to replace an old bathroom extractor fan. I presumed the motor had burned out because it’s long since stopped working and the property I live in is approx. 25 years old.

I’ve wired it up what I think is the right way, but while the light comes on the fan doesn’t.

The site won’t let me post a pic but the old wiring was:

red - live
blue - neutral
Yellow - live split

the new fan is currently wired like this:

Red - live
Blue - neutral
Yellow - split live

Any ideas where I’m going or is this beyond a quick swap the old fan out for a new one type job?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have you checked if there is a fan isolator somewhere that has been turned off?

Sponsored Links
No, I did think if I had one I’d be able to check to see there’s power in the split feed.

the bathroom light turns on but as the fan won’t start up, it must be a problem with the split power supply?

What's a "split" power supply? Do you mean the switched live?

Anyways, you are going to need a two probe voltage test device, a multimeter at least. This magic wands and neon screwdrivers might shhow if there's power to the permanent and switched live, but they can't detect the presence of the neutral, and that is an essential ingredient!

PS. You could check that the wire is properly terminated at the fan, sometimes the screw is on to the insulation and not making contact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back