Bathroom extractor fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a timer extractor fan in my bathroom. The problem i have is that it is very difficult for me to gain access to the bathroom lighting. The 12v transformer in the ceiling of my bathroom seems to be a one piece moulded type which cannot be opened and is very difficult to get to anyway. Also i have a loft extension built on top of which is a false (double) ceiling in my bathroom. I cannot gain access to this lighting circuit, or to the shower pull cord, without massive disruption to the false ceiling, floor joists and loft tongue and groove flooring. My question is;-

Can i install another pull cord in the bathroom, or a fused switch outside the bathroom and run the fan from that via another light ceiling rose, say the hallway? I need to run live - swith live and neutral. Is this safe to do, (within regulations) and if so what is the best way to achieve this.

Cheers

Knobrot

Sponsored Links
I was gonna give a helpful reply..but maybe you should register with a new name first.

So for now ill just say Part P.

Sorry for the name. Got bored, everybody used up all the usernames!

So what about Part P

Do you know what part p is?

Also..how will the fan know when to come on if its not connected to the bathroom light?

Sponsored Links
No what is part p?

I'ts not great i know..! but will have to switch fan on by fused switch outside the bathroom everytime i run a bath or use the shower. Then turn it off after.

Silly question, but i don't suppose you can fit timer fan with a cable and plug, and simply plug it into a socket outside the bathroom. i.e, in the loft room. Slap dash......

First i'd say pop to the doctors, and get your little problem sorted out. Then pick up the yellow pages and phone an electrician.

I take it that this is dangerous? I'm trying to cut corners, to avoid ripping out loft flooring, floor joist, insulation and then false bathroom ceiling....Nigthmare. Is there not another alternative?

Yes it could fall off :LOL:

Oh erm the electrics..Yes messing with electrics is dangerous if you've got no idea what you're doing

Cutting corners generally means shoddy work, and dangerous scenarios.

Plugging it into the loft means that the isolation is not easily accessible.

Part P means that any electrical work you do in a kitchen, bathroom, garden etc is notifiable to the local area building control.

Apparently even installing a shower tray comes under building regulations now and you need permission! lol

I think it would be easier to throw it away, the fan i mean....and continue opening the bathroom window everytime i have a shower or bath. So glad winters on it's way.

Seriously, not even the smallest electrician in the world can get to the bathroom lighting circuit. He's just gonna tell me to rip everything up.

You never know. Phone around until you find a sparky (registered with an approved body and no i dont mean

Taylortwocities said:
I've got an approved body, does that count? :LOL:

lol. Yeah anyway phone around and find one who will do a free quote. Most of them will, and see what they say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back