Bathroom extractor letting in draft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My bathroom extractor is very drafty.... so much so that during the winter I ended up not using it and taping over cardboard to stop the cold air getting in.

The reason for this, I believe, is that there is nothing behind the extractor, it's just mounted into a hole in the wall... Whether part of it has fallen off or if it was just badly fitted, I don't know, but I would like to get it sorted and as I will have scaffolding up in a few weeks for some roof repairs I have the chance to get this done.

I have attached pictures of both sides of the wall where the extractor fan is fitted
IMG_20180526_111457.jpg IMG_20180526_111611.jpg
I would be grateful for advice to explain what needs to be done and what I need to buy (presumable some sort of duct or vent?).

Sponsored Links
A cowl vent is good, but the brickwork needs to be made good round the new duct you're going to fit. If it's a cavity wall, pack the cavity with mineral wool as used in lofts and try to prevent dust and rubble falling down the gap.

If you have small hands you can reach through the duct to pack mortar round the duct, but your hole is much larger than usual.

More modern fans usually have an anti-draught flap, but it's a very frail thing compared to a
https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/air-vents/cat840496?producttype=cowl_vent

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
+1 for sorting the brickwork- looks as if the builders didn't quite finish the job. If the cowl/gravity flaps don't work then get a fan with integrated powered shutter- yes a lot more expensive but no rattling plastic flaps and no backdraughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back