Bathroom extractor, wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to install a timed extractor fan.
My house is mostly pre2006 wiring, black and red and doesn't look in the best standards anyway :(

So trying to understand what needs to happen and the fact the bathroom lights are hidden in a false ceiling means I can't access the first light to tap into.

First picture is a junction box that feeds the bathroom and I don't know what else, the second is basic wiring diagram.
1623ehh.jpg

2zdnbjm.jpg

So is this proposal correct? If it is what can i do to tidy up the the junction box?
If not what is it I need to do?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Given the clothtape, screw on Dogcocks and conduit earthing, i would quess its pre 1970 at least, who added the T+E thats new harmonised colours but installed very poorly.
I would fit some sleeving, fit a gland or at least a grommet, fit some Wago connecters.

Also I would fit a lug to the earth wire , drill the side of the box, then fit brass nut, bolt and washers to secure that earth.

Ideally the box needs testing to ensure there is still actually earth continuity.
Do you have a picture of the fusebox, often work is carried out and the pipes get isolated from earth, which is not good.

Didn't expect it to be that old! My parents house wiring was that old it was nylon (or silk?) wrapped at the inner cores like thick metal coat hangers!

Fuse box is a modern MCB+RCB system, all boxed in but I will take a picture tomorrow if I remember.
The t+e is almost like it's been what's lying around to use. Pull cord end has grey trimmed well back. I think most of the downlights wiring is in the false ceiling minus one t+e that runs from one light to roughly the corner of the room then disappears. I found an old heated mirror so maybe this was there before the bathroom cabinet.

As for making better I may be able to acquire the parts from work, depending if we have them. I'm an event technician, so power and electricity isn't foreign to me, just domestic install.

Where would I need to take from earth to test the conduit?

As for my wiring diagram would it work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back