Bathroom fan arrangements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I am considering fitting a new externally mounted extractor fan to remove air from a new toiletroom and seperate shower room.

If I do in fact do this then this will be notified to Building Control or installed by an Electrician.

I have a few questions I would like assistance on:-

1. The fan will have no timer and will be controlled via a switch on the wall. This will be on the same switchplate as the light switch. With this in mind will I require a separate 'Fan Isolator' switch. Surely the switch on the wall is used for fan isolation purposes.

2. The fan will be connected to the downstairs lighting supply. Am I required to provide an inline fuse (FCU for example) to separately fuse the fan or if I wish can I rely on the MCB in the CU.

Many Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
I am considering fitting a new externally mounted extractor fan to remove air from a new toiletroom and seperate shower room.

This sounds like a very dangerous thing to do. Asphyxiation issues aside, the air pressure from the walls and ceiling will cause the room to implode.

1. The fan will have no timer and will be controlled via a switch on the wall. This will be on the same switchplate as the light switch. With this in mind will I require a separate 'Fan Isolator' switch. Surely the switch on the wall is used for fan isolation purposes.

Your guess is as good as mine. A lot of people say so, I haven't seen an authority on it yet.

2. The fan will be connected to the downstairs lighting supply. Am I required to provide an inline fuse (FCU for example) to separately fuse the fan or if I wish can I rely on the MCB in the CU.
l

That depends on the manufactuer's instructions. Some say "this appliance must be protected by a 3A fuse because we couldn't be bothered to design it properly.*"

In that case, you need a FCU with 3A fuse.

* I'm paraphrasing slightly.

To clarify. So this will be one fan with two extract points?
Do both rooms have opening windows? If not, you may need to have a timer fan that is controlled by the operation of the light(s).

The fan isolator switch will need to disconnect all live conductors from the fan (that will be live and neutral. It may also be switched live if you are forced down the time fan route).

You will need to clarify with your LABC what they will accept as you have to comply with Building regs Part F.
This document my help you http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/domestic_ventilation_compliance_guide_2010.pdf

There will be two extraction points. Each room has a window that opens

Sponsored Links
If I do in fact do this then this will be notified to Building Control or installed by an Electrician.
As this is a new toilet / shower, it will be notifiable to BC anyway, you don't need a separate notification for the electrical part.

But it may still be cheaper to use a self-certifying electrician than to pay the council or a 3rd party to inspect DIY work.

gents, The instructions do not say that a fuse is required.

Our local council want £225 for me to go via the 'notify building control' route. I am happy with that

OK. So you are going to be doing the electric bit yourself? Is that your plan?

You will need to comply with wiring Regulations (BS7671) and Building Regulations of all sorts too. LABC will want to check this out.

But we can help.

A couple of initial queries:
What is make and model of the fan you have identified?
Will there be just one switch for the fan, or will there be a fan switch in both rooms?

It is a Soler and Palau systems SWF.

I am considering one switch or two. Probably one switch outside of both rooms

There are several ways to connect it up. I suggest you have a switch(es) with an indicator light/neon(s) so you can see if the fan is switched on.

As you have two inlets, you will be sucking air out of both rooms even though only one room is being used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back