bathroom fan - builder says I don't need one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're having a new bathroom put in, new floor, windows, wall moving so it's all being ripped out and starting from scratch, I was about to try to get the best fan I could after reading on here about how important extraction is when we had a new bathroom in our old house.

When I asked my builder what fan he was planning to use he said he wasn't going to and most people don't install them any more, the windows will have the ventilation opening thing and he says people just leave them on that and a fan isn't required.

It will be a large window, the room is 3.6m (l) x 2.2m (w) x 2.4m(h)

Have things changed (it was 5 years ago when we did this last) or is a fan still as important as ever?

Thanks,
worto.

P.S. any tips on a quiet fan that can be turned on\off independently to the light switch gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
It's a big room, and if you're the sort of person who is happy to open the window to let the steam out, and leave the door wide open after you've finished, then you don't really need a fan. I've only noticed fans to be useful in tiny, windowless bathrooms. Use your own judgement -you must have been in bathrooms without fans before, maybe of similar size to yours. Did they suffer much?

Last edited:
Fan... YES. is it going to be possible to fit a fan with a light built in above your shower/bath or is it going to have to go on a wall?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies & I'll check out that silent fan (I guess 'silent' is optimistic but it must be best to get one that at least tries to be quiet!)

There will be a separate shower enclosure and there are external walls too so we could do either above the shower or on a wall - are you saying it's best to go with one above the shower, then I guess I could get it to come on with the shower and go off 30 mins later or something. I don't want one that comes on every time I turn the light on.

I'm a YES also. Who would want a window open on a cold day? Even the trickle vent gets shut during the winter so the fan is a must. Lots to choose from, even a simple pull cord ( I like simple with timer )
Think you will be regretting it if you don't.

Leaving a window even a bit open is an invite. So it's not for me but each to their own.

but a fan is just as leaky as a slightly open window...

Not the Airflow Icon range with the automatic opening/closing iris shutter. A thousand times better an idea than those cheap louvred flap covers that go on the outside and chatter in the wind!

Gaz :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back