bathroom fan isolator advice

I too was under the impression that bathrooms and toilets needed to have mechanical ventilation if the room had no opening lights.

I understood it was a building regulation. Several building control inspectors I have known had the same understanding.

My dad moved into a brand new house in the 70s, with not a single fan to be seen.

Sponsored Links
So when was the requirement for a fan introduced? as there were whole developement built in 70's without a single fan in site.
I don't follow your line of thought.

I am saying there never was and is not a requirement.

Bathrooms and toilets need ventilation.
How that's achieved isn't specified.
Opening windows are one common option, as are powered extractors.
A vertical pipe set into the ceiling and exiting into the open air would be another option, convection would provide the airflow.

As is often said with Part P, this is Part F, there is no more...

2021-01-03 (2).png

Sponsored Links
Yes, I have always said that.
Ah the use of language...

From post#6 onwards it appears you are contradicting me.

So I'll clarify my understanding of planning rules; adequate ventilation must be provided throughout a dwelling... moreso in rooms with high humidity such as kitchens and bathrooms where exhaust or extraction is required. If there is no opening window or other equivalent ventilation then LABC will expect or instruct a fan to be fitted.
Not quoted from anywhere, just my laymans expectation.

From post#6 onwards it appears you are contradicting me.
Well I would be if you think fans are compulsory.

So I'll clarify my understanding of planning rules; adequate ventilation must be provided throughout a dwelling...
Sort of, see Part F above.

moreso in rooms with high humidity such as kitchens and bathrooms where exhaust or extraction is required.
It does not say that - just "adequate ventilation for people in the building".

If there is no opening window or other equivalent ventilation then LABC will expect or instruct a fan to be fitted.
Not quoted from anywhere, just my laymans expectation.
Then they are wrong.
Because Part F (2) mentions mechanical ventilation, I presume some people might think it is compulsory.

Well I would be if you think fans are compulsory.

Sort of, see Part F above.

It does not say that - just "adequate ventilation for people in the building".

Then they are wrong.
Because Part F (2) mentions mechanical ventilation, I presume some people might think it is compulsory.
I mentioned 'laymans expectation' perhaps I should have added interpretation.

Adequate ventilation does vary dependant on the use/environment within each room, hence the BC's expectation of differing ventilation.

I am getting confused.

Fans are not compulsory. End of.

It is not illegal to allow water vapour or, god forbid, smells to escape from the bathroom.

I am getting confused.

Fans are not compulsory. End of.

It is not illegal to allow water vapour or, god forbid, smells to escape from the bathroom.
Correct but at planning and construction stage adequate ventilation is required and if no other form of ventilation is adequate, the LABC will expect to see something like a fan to adequately ventilate the space.

A fan is now spec'd by architect's in a matter of course in the same way as BS7671 is cited for part P but that's a different matter.

Correct but at planning and construction stage adequate ventilation is required
For people in the building.

and if no other form of ventilation is adequate, the LABC will expect to see something like a fan to adequately ventilate the space.
That does make it right.

A fan is now spec'd by architect's in a matter of course in the same way as BS7671 is cited for part P but that's a different matter.
That does not make it right.

People do and believe all sorts of strange unnecessary things.

That does not make it right.
Oh it does make it right, or more correctly acceptable, as an adequate means of ventilation. Just because it is not compulsary in the situation, using a fan isn't wrong. Just as using a fan in a heatwave to create a draught is not wrong although there are other acceptable, and possibly more effective or efficient, methods of keeping cool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back