Bathroom fan - switched FCU or 'Fan Isolating Switch'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new VentAxia 100 fan (non-timed) to install in a loo. My Collins book says it should be off an FCU. I intend to give the fan its own switch outside the door, which is supported by the wiring diagram with the fan.

My question; when I went to get the switched FCU to install between the fan and the switch I noticed a '3 pole Fan Isolating Switch'. The fan requires no earth. I vaguely remember seeing one of these fan switches in a friends new flat. What is the advantage over a FCU?

Sponsored Links
Fireman will probably say a 'secret key switch'. No offence fireman :LOL:

nick99 said:
I have a new VentAxia 100 fan (non-timed) to install in a loo. My Collins book says it should be off an FCU. I intend to give the fan its own switch outside the door, which is supported by the wiring diagram with the fan.

My question; when I went to get the switched FCU to install between the fan and the switch I noticed a '3 pole Fan Isolating Switch'. The fan requires no earth. I vaguely remember seeing one of these fan switches in a friends new flat. What is the advantage over a FCU?

If its not a timed fan, then you'll only have two conductors to isolate (so you don't *need* the triple pole fan isolator), does your fan say you need to fuse dwn to say 3A, if so, use switched FCU, if not feel free to jus use a DP switch (or even 3 polefan isolator if you wish because its got the correct legends on it)

I dont see a TP isolator as a functional switch - they are too clumbsy and clunky.

As its only a Loo - how about putting the switch soewhere more appropriate.......like adjacent the fan......use an FCU.

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
does your fan say you need to fuse dwn to say 3A, if so, use switched FCU, if not feel free to jus use a DP switch (or even 3 polefan isolator if you wish because its got the correct legends on it)

It says "wiring should be via a double pole isolating switch...the fuse rating should be 1amp (UK)."

So I guess a switched FCU is the way to go. To me adding the FCU (with the fuse) into the equation *seems* safer than simply one of those big switches. Or am I just being dumb?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back