Bathroom fan with timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have installed a new Expelair fan with timer, taking its power from a cable with fused switch that was previously used to power a bathroom wall-mounted heater that I have removed (I've changed the fuse from 13 amp to 3 amp).
I decided to try to use it without using the timer function since it's not wired up to the lighting circuit.
Trouble is it doesn't come on when I flick the fused switch, presumably because the timer terminal is not wired up to anything.
Should I:
a) change it for a standard fan without timer?
b) run a wire from the light switch or the light fitting to the timer terminal?
c) another solution?

TIA
Barry

Sponsored Links
Where is the fused switch?
If not easily accessible, how will you switch the fan on and off?

You could link the live and timer terminals together.

Or you could fit a switch between the outgoing live from the fused switch and the T terminal.

Turn the switch on and the fan will come on. Turn it off and the fan will run for the length of time set by the adjustment pot on the fan's PCB.

There are other options too, depending on the stage of the build.

I will guess that the extractor is in a bathroom or WC.

IMO, it would be best to rewire it to the ceiling lamp, and include a PL for the timer.

You will then not need to remember to turn it on and off.

Sponsored Links
Where is the fused switch?
If not easily accessible, how will you switch the fan on and off?

You could link the live and timer terminals together.
It's on the wall outside the bathroom at head height.
Re linking the terminals: I don't think there's enough room in the tiny terminals for another wire due to the cable being 1.5mm. Is there any other way I could do this?

Or you could fit a switch between the outgoing live from the fused switch and the T terminal.

Turn the switch on and the fan will come on. Turn it off and the fan will run for the length of time set by the adjustment pot on the fan's PCB.

Thanks. It's a 70s bungalow. I want to use this old heater cable and switch because otherwise that switch will be redundant. Ideally though, I would like to use the timer feature somehow, preferable with the light switch but your solution sounds like a reasonable option...

Permanent Live, to distinguish it from the Switched Live.

What do you call it?

I will guess that the extractor is in a bathroom or WC.

IMO, it would be best to rewire it to the ceiling lamp, and include a PL for the timer.

You will then not need to remember to turn it on and off.
Yes it's in a bathroom.
I know the ceiling lamp would be ideal. Trouble is, I installed a new light fitting there a while back and it was a nightmare to fit all thecables and wires in and I don't want to medle with it now...

Hi again, I decided to go for this option. I have fitted a pull-cord switch close to the fan and wired an extra live from the L terminal in the new switch to the fan's T terminal. The trouble is, although the fan runs when I pull the cord, it goes off immediately when I pull it again, instead of running on the timer setting. Also, the new switch's neon stays on even when the switch is in OFF position... Any idea what's going on?

Sounds like you have wired the switch the wrong way round -

and put the permanent live to fan in the wrong place (but could be the right place when switch is wired properly)

Picture of switch wires? Just copy and paste.

Sounds like you have wired the switch the wrong way round -

and put the permanent live to fan in the wrong place (but could be the right place when switch is wired properly)

Picture of switch wires? Just copy and paste.
Bit tricky to photograph it right now but there is only one Live feed terminal in the switch (it's a standard shower switch as the terminals in a lighting switch aren't spacious enough), so both lives are coming from that terminal to the fan. Do I need a different type of switch then?

Bit tricky to photograph it right now but there is only one Live feed terminal in the switch (it's a standard shower switch as the terminals in a lighting switch aren't spacious enough),
Ok.

so both lives are coming from that terminal to the fan.
The Permanent Live to the fan should come from the Feed terminal, and
the Switched Live to the fan should come from the Load terminal.

The Neutral of the Feed and Load cables should both be in the Neutral Load terminal.

However, because the Neon stays on all the time, it would appear that you have the Feed(supply) cable and Load cable the wrong way round.

If I am assuming the correct type of switch.

upload_2021-5-5_14-13-12.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back